Is an Ottoneu App in the works?

Just wondering…Was away on a trip last week, and it was so easy to get my lineup ready for my other platforms.

4 Likes

There currently is no plans for a mobile app, but there are plans to improve the mobile experience.

What parts of updating your lineup on other platforms was easier than Ottoneu? Were they because of the app, or because of the mobile web experience on the Ottoneu site? I think mobile lineup setting has improved for Ottoneu, but I am certain there are plenty of more improvements that can be made.

The main reasons there are no plans to create a mobile app is the amount of money it would cost and the requirement to maintain multiple codebases, instead of the one codebase currently powering Ottoneu. We’re a single-person (me!) shop, so maintaining separate iOS, Android, and web experiences is currently too much for me, especially given how quickly I try to move to add features and fix bugs.

Perhaps if Ottoneu grows more, this can be revisited, but I still think 90% of the gap between the Ottoneu experience and Yahoo can be bridged by improvements to the existing web platform.

2 Likes

Definitively setting a lineup is way easier in the Espn and yahoo apps. No sideways scrolling needed there. I find that I need to zoom in and out tons to see who is playing on my mobile, specially on days where there are double headers and everything expands. Even on an Iphone 7 plus, I have to move sideways a lot to know what’s going on.

Thanks for answering.

4 Likes

Reminds me of something I forgot about, actually!

I set up a Yahoo league just so I can do some comparison between mobile experiences. If you want to help improve the mobile experience for Ottoneu, all you have to do is visit the sign up link. The league is auto-draft and I’m mostly going to use it to check out the mobile app experience and see how Ottoneu’s mobile experience can be improved.

4 slots left!

I wish I had time to help but I’m stretched too thin at work lately. One thing I know with the other sites is that you know who is starting without having to scroll.

2 Likes

Guys - just want to chime in here before I start a new thread with this request. (Not sure if this will be seen since I am late to the party).

I think the biggest issue right now with the site (accessing on a mobile device) is the fact that you can’t see a player’s line-up status without scrolling over. We have to scroll over to see a player’s roster status. Why can’t we fix that by swapping the “team” column with the “opponent” column, or just by combining the team column with the “name” column?

I do not need to know that Evan Gattis is still on “HOU,” I just want to see his status for today’s game without scrolling over.

1 Like

That was absolutely my takeaway from @Miguel’s comment. I’ll be able to make this change very soon!

If there are other thoughts about the mobile experience, please continue to use this thread!

One solution that I would think should not need layout changes is just changing the color of the players names if they are starting. My limited coding experience tells me that fix should be simpler than moving tables around.

1 Like

I’ve pushed out a small change that hopefully makes it easier to see who is starting and sitting on mobile devices without requiring any side scrolling.

3 Likes

THANKS MAN!..looking sweet!

2 Likes

just wondering… would be very helpful in attracting new owners

IMHO, the marginal benefit of a distinct app over the mobile functionality of the Ottoneu website is far smaller than the marginal cost to Niv in order to create and maintain it.

I don’t mind using my phone’s browser but Ottoneu will not continue to grow unless you develop an app for people that no longer use computers and rely on apps. I have had at least 10 people tell me they want an app and regularly forget their ottoneu lineups because there is not an app. Some said they will not return to football next year solely because of this

An app is just another way of viewing a website, so if someone has a phone and has a web browser on that phone, any Ottoneu app I could make would not be a different or better than the current mobile experience.

Is this actually a request for push notification reminders to set lineups? What do people who are threatening to quit think is lacking from the current mobile experience? What do those people imagine an app would provide?

1 Like

Any APP roll out planned?

@nivshah

There is still no plans to introduce an app for all the reasons laid out in this thread. You do not need to ping me on the forums. Thanks.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Clicking on a player’s name in mobile creates empty tabs in Chrome

Just for the record, I prefer using my browser for ESPN fantasy baseball over the app and have no trouble using Ottoneu on my phone.

There are many websites that I prefer on browser over app.

3 Likes

People who really want an app I think mostly want to see ottoneu when they open their phones to remind them to check it on a regular basis. Websites are easier to forget to visit.

I assume most people know this, but just in case, you can add any website to look like an app (…on iPhone at least – share icon > add to Home Screen). I’ve got all my fantasy apps and websites in a row.

6 Likes