Ottoneu Basics

This is the place for Ottoneu basics - how the game works and why it’s different (and better!) than any other fantasy platform available.
What is Ottoneu?
Ottoneu FAQ
Ottoneu Rules
10 Tips for Ottoneu Rookies
How Hitting Is Scored in Ottoneu
How Pitching Is Scored in Ottoneu
The Ottoneu Auction Draft
The Math of Winning Ottoneu

https://twitter.com/rotographs/status/702545405926576128

From The Math of Winning Ottoneu:

Obviously total points for pitchers in Ottoneu points leagues are just as important as they are for hitters but they can be a bit more deceptive because what you need to measure those total points in the context of two variables: innings and points per inning. For example, Cole Hamels scored 1,019 points in FGPTS leagues last season over 212 IP. Matt Harvey scored just three more points (1,022) but accomplished that in just 189 IP. That’s 4.8 P/IP for Hamels compared to 5.4 P/IP for Harvey, who is clearly the much more valuable SP in this case. In other words, you want the highest P/IP possible over the highest number of total IP you can find.

Nowhere is this rule more applicable than with relief pitchers, where a 10.0 P/IP reliever can score you almost 200 more points (655) per RP slot over a 7.0 P/IP reliever (455) over the same 65 innings. Likewise, even though you should project about 325 IP from your five relievers (325 out of 1,500 IP), you’ll benefit even more for every additional IP you can throw with your RP than with your SP because even mediocre RP (7.0 P/IP) generally score more points per IP than the best SP (Kershaw was 6.75 P/IP in 2015). Some of the best teams in Ottoneu points will usually throw nearly 375 IP with their relievers by rotating in a few extra RP on expected “off” days, so use that as a guide.

1 Like

Just for reference, here are the current scoring formats for Ottoneu. Questions about points leagues come up often from new players, so here’s a breakdown (from the Ottoneu FAQ):

Old School - Rotisserie-style 5x5 (AVG, HR, RBI, SB, R and W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K). For the traditionalist in you.
ottoneu Classic - Rotisserie-style 4x4 sabermetric-hybrid (OBP, SLG, HR, R and ERA, WHIP, HR/9, K). This is the stat set of the original league that has been active since 2005.
FanGraphs Points - Points based on Linear Weights. Based on work by Justin Merry. Read his great FAQ about the system, or read more detailed pieces behind the hitting and pitching point values.

Hitting
AB -1.0
H 5.6
2B 2.9
3B 5.7
HR 9.4
BB 3.0
HBP 3.0
SB 1.9
CS -2.8

Pitching
IP 7.4
K 2.0
H -2.6
BB -3.0
HBP -3.0
HR -12.3
SV 5.0
HOLDS 4.0

SABR Points - Like FanGraphs points, but with FIP-based pitching scoring. The original points system!

Hitting
AB -1.0
H 5.6
2B 2.9
3B 5.7
HR 9.4
BB 3.0
HBP 3.0
SB 1.9
CS -2.8

Pitching
IP 5.0
K 2.0
BB -3.0
HBP -3.0
HR -13.0
SV 5.0
HOLDS 4.0

Another question that pops up often is about the 60 day DL slots in Ottoneu. From the Rules page:

“If a player is on the 60 day DL, an additional player can be added to the roster. However, the injured player still counts against the salary cap, and cap penalties will be enforced as normal for any transactions brought about by the player coming off the DL. There is no 15 day DL.”

You cannot technically move a player to the 60 day DL manually; it will occur automatically, but only if that player has already been placed on the 60 day DL by their MLB team. In other words, players moving on or off of the 60 day DL are out of your control, but in the event you do own a player on the 60 day DL, that player will not take up a roster spot, so you could receive an extra roster spot (Ex: 41 instead of 40) while they are owned.

Good reminder from @jjdouglas about how player cap penalties work (and how you can remove them): http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ottoneu-101-the-capps-space-dilema/

Not understanding how the loans in and loans our work.

Earlier in the year I traded a $3 player for a $20 player. After the trade, I get a message that my team was out of balance forcing me to drop players to get in to balance.

Now a player is offering me 3 players totally $14 in cost for one of my players who cost $64 and I give $50 which I don’t have.

Should the trading partner in my first example offered me $17 to make things equal.

Hope this might help a little and make sense - thoughts?
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ottoneu-101-how-loans-work-in-ottoneu/

@jjdouglas recently wrote another Ottoneu 101 article on the “5MiLB” structure:
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ottoneu-101-the-5milb-structure/

Great article from @jjdouglas on a simple, effective way to calculate player “value” in trade negotiations:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Ottoneu Full Season Calendar

Thanks,
so the line “Adds, Drops/cuts” should be split, leaving it as is for the drops/cuts and adding one for Adds?

Yeah, that’s probably a good idea given the way you have everything broken out

Thanks for the suggestion, I updated the file (will also update Slack)

A post was split to a new topic: Two C slots

Everybody in my league is new to Ottoneu, so I am being more lenient with helping to fix mistakes as commissioner for the first little bit while we all familiarize our selves with the new format. Does the commissioner have the power to cancel an open bid on a player?

1 Like

No, but once an auction is completed, the commissioner can REMOVE a player from the team, and that team will not have a cap penalty.

I strongly agree with your premise of being more lenient early on.

1 Like

A little confused on the scoring for old school 5vs5. How are the rankings determined in relation with the statistics?

Sorry, I just saw this question. In 5x5 and 4x4 leagues, you get 12 points for leading a category, 11 for being in second place, etc. The standings are a summation of these points. The detailed Standings page has a full breakdown.

Old article but could be helpful for anyone new to the game in @Ottoneu101

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Do trades process for teams that are over roster and cap limits?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Can I cancel a 48-hour auction I started?