2016 Prospect Resources

“I saw that elite prospects were going really cheap and only being auctioned by me.”

Great job knowing the market of your league. Your strategy may not have worked if you had 5 teams coveting prospects, but you saw the opportunity.

1 Like

Yeah you’ve got to read the trends for sure. This year our closer market way over corrected and guys went cheap so I actually built a nice bullpen and didn’t need to focus on the offense as much since I have those young guys. I did trade a $3 Thor but got Arenado in return but having a $10 Thor in 2016 would be nice even though a $22 Arenado is nice too.

The 2080 Baseball site is new this year and a pretty good resource for MiLB prospects:
http://2080baseball.com/prospects/

Also love MLBFarm for tracking prospects: http://mlbfarm.com/about.php

1 Like

As of April 20th, 2016, Anderson Espinoza is owned in 63% of Ottoneu leagues for an average salary of $2.66 (max of $11). He will be an interesting guy to track over the next few years since it will take several years anyway to see if he even pans out and makes MLB (somewhat like Urias for those that owned him 2 years ago).
There’s always a good debate about whether it makes sense to roster A ball players in Ottoneu, so Espinoza will be a fun one to keep an eye on.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/game-report-anderson-espinoza/#Qlya7hdDd6uSAbMB.97

Jose Berrios getting the call up. MLB debut vs. CLE. I’m a Berrios fan and think he’ll have a solid rookie season.

And now Sean Manaea called up to pitch Friday. It’s prospect week.

Next major prospect to get called up this season?

Well, it won’t be Gallo, who I think too many people are underrating because of a hot/cold debut last year and the obscene K rate. @vibbot wrote about him today and I have to agree that he’s a good buy-low candidate right now (especially being on the DL). Still think Gallo could do Sano-type things in the near future…

I think the next major call up is AJ Reed, or possibly Urias since there are rumblings the Dodgers are considering him for the bullpen.

Agree on Urias now that Reed is on the DL. Could be big impact in the bullpen

Well, you got your wish @vibbot - Julio Urias making his debut tomorrow vs. NYM. Any predictions?

The Mets offense is a little soft right now because of injuries. I think Urias should get 6 innings in and be relatively effective. Over/under 5 strikeouts?

• Over 5 Ks
  • Under 5 Ks

0 voters

My prediction? 5.1 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 7 K.

Feels like a lot of pitches - he’s been on a pretty tight count, right? 7 H, 7 K, lotta pitches.

More prospect reviews for Ottoneu: Musgrove, Adames, Stewart, Ockimey
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/four-prospects-im-watchlisting/

Wilson Contreras called up (C, CHC), and Cody Reed (SP, CIN) also making his debut this weekend.

Jameson Taillon with one of the better SP prospect debuts (so far) this year (right @joecatz?) ; already talk of shutting down Julio Urias after a couple more starts.

Jamo is gold. Come and get him.

1 Like

What is everyone’s philosophy on spending/bidding on recent MLB draftees in Ottoneu? How much is too much or too little?

I know we had a long discussion about this on slack but I will only spend money on are college bats from the first round. If I am competing I’ll spend up to $2 on these bats and if I am not really pushing for a title I’ll spend even up to $4-$5 on these players.

Here are some of the college bats from the past 5 drafts:

2013 Draft
Kris Bryant
Colin Moran
Hunter Dozier
DJ Peterson
Hunter Renfroe
Eric Jagielo
Aaron Judge

2014 Draft
Kyle Schwarber
Michael Conforto
Max Pentecost
Trea Turner
Casey Gillaspie
Bradley Zimmer
Matt Chapman
Alex Blandino

2015 Draft
Dansby Swanson
Alex Bregman
Andrew Benintendi
Ian Happ
Kevin Newman
Richie Martin
DJ Stewart
Taylor Ward

The caveat here is scouting. If I haven’t seen the player live or can’t find good video on him I will go with scouting reports available in various places. I’m looking for things like advanced approach or advanced college bat as keywords when targeting a player. If any player is expected to stick behind the plate I tend to leave them alone because catchers take forever to develop.

The players I have already started targeting in this class are Nick Senzel, Corey Ray, Zack Collins and Kyle Lewis.

1 Like

This is a great reminder that even the highest drafted prospects don’t always pan out