$1 Value Plays

As a new Ottoneu player (and new to auction drafts, in general), I’m interested to hear who everyone likes as $1 value plays with big potential to produce value at each position. Who are you targeting with your late, $1 bids to fill the back end? Who do you HAVE to have back there?

1 Like

FGPts? Assuming so here’s my list, with my favorites in bold (using first year AAV of $2 or less):

C Chance Sisco, Robinson Chirinos, Travis d’Arnaud
1B Hanley Ramirez, C.J. Cron, A.J. Reed
2B Joe Panik, Devon Travis, Adam Frazier
SS Orlando Arcia, Aledmys Diaz, Jose Reyes
3B Jeimer Candelario, Colin Moran, Matt Davidson
OF Randall Grichuk, Derek Fisher, Hunter Renfroe, Nick Delmonico, Jorge Soler, Lonnie Chisenhall, Curtis Granderson

SP Eduardo Rodriguez, Tyler Skaggs, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Tyler Mahle, Michael Pineda, Dillon Peters, Wilmer Font
RP Michael Feliz, Alex Claudio, Justin Wilson, Kirby Yates, Trevor Hildenberger, Hector Rondon, Joe Jimenez

Prospects Triston McKenzie, Keston Hiura, Tyler O’Neill, Mike Soroka

4 Likes

@vibbot - sorry bud - I should have clarified scoring system. I’ll be playing in a 5x5…does that change your answer?

Some $1 names:

3B Yandy Diaz
RP Drew Steckenrider
2B Gavin Cecchini
LF Nick Delmonico
1B Ryan McMahon
SP Andrew Heaney
RP Cam Bedrosian
OF Jahmai Jones (Angels are trying him out at 2B FYI so he could be up by next year)
OF Jordon Adell
SP Alen Hansen
C Tucker Barnhart (and Devin Morasco for backup)
C Chance Sisco
C Tyler Flowers
RP Josh Hader
2B Devon Travis

1 Like

Just finished two auctions, one FGPTs, one H2H, where I spent big in the beginning and bought whatever was left in the end. Here is a $1 player for each Ottoneu position from just those teams:

C Kurt Suzuki – Was a top-10 catcher last season. He will fall back to his mean, but should still get get 80 to 100 starts and has 10 HR upside.

C Victor Caratini – Love this guy. Has 1B eligibility. Didn’t make the Cubs out of Spring Training but if he can make it to the bigs any time in 2018 he should quietly contribute.

1B Ryon Healy – He might hit 30 home runs. Or he might be demoted by May. Also has 3B eligibility.

2B Ben Zobrist – Even a minimal amount of bounce-back gives you a two-position player with 10-10 potential. And should get playing time based on versatility.

SS Tayler Wade – Made the Yankees out of spring training. Not a starter, but if he sticks, will be a good source of steals. I would like him even more for 5x5 than I do for the FGPTs league where I drafted him.

MI Adam Frazier – A stronger, younger, less-talented Ben Zobrist!

3B Jeimer Candelario – Nice partial season for Detroit last season. Not known for power, but he could garner some counting stats and could be above average on the average.

CI Tyler White – If he makes the Astros he plays everywhere about twice a week.

OF Teoscar Hernandez – Might hit .200. Might hit 20 HR. Might do both.

OF Jason Heyward – Possibly 7-11 or 11-7 and should get playing time because of his fielding. He’s only 28.

OF Derek Dietrich – Miami’s longstanding platoon utility guy is now their starting LF. Hits well against RHP. Might hit near the top of their (wretched) lineup.

OF Benjamin Gamel – Coming back from an oblique injury, but has a strong-side split and could be a 10-10 player with a plus BA.

OF Lonnie Chisenhall – He’s got some buzz, but in one of my two reference leagues he’s still available as a FA.

SP Colin McHugh – A strong H2H pitcher, in my opinion and may be serviceable for 5x5. Strikes people out, goes deep into games, was injured last year, and … is now a reliever. He’ll be back.

SP Rick Porcello – Coming off a brutal season, he still has good upside, contributes Ks, and pitches a lot of innings, if you need innings.

SP Brandon Finnegan – When the Reds need a 5th starter, Finnegan’s awake.

RP Colin McHugh – You know him!

RP Jimmie Sherfy – Another guy I love. Got optioned to AAA by the Diamondbacks, but he’ll be back. Or Billy Beane will trade for him and he’ll be closing for the A’s in August, for cheap.

Honorable Mention: Jorge Polanco – Pick him up now for $1 and hope he plays for half the season like the $5 shortstop he was auctioning at. He could easily be a 10-10 guy in 80 games.

2 Likes

@ettin - I like Steckenrider, Hader, Delmonico and Travis, a lot.

Hey! I said two of those names first! :smile:

2 Likes

@vibbot - you’re right, you said ONLY two of those names first :wink:

While I have ya, bud - you’re the spreadsheet master around here, no? Looking for help setting up a table for cumulative target goals in each category in Excel but having a hard time with the averages.

Using =sum(x:y) for the counting stats, but using =sum(x:y)/# of players for the ratios only gives me accurate data once all data in that column is added in. I would like a function that gives me a running total as the draft goes on to inform me whether I need to target higher average players as I go (or if Matt Olson/Joey Gallo are doable, for instance).

Help???

1 Like

I’m an Excel rookie, as well…clearly :wink: