Changes to lineups are (sporadically) not taking effect

My current working theory is that this will occur mostly for teams that keep all their starters on the bench, only moving them in to SP slots on starting days. That is not how I manage my team, I leave all my SPs in SP slots and swap, rather than leaving my SP slots empty most of the time.

My theory is also that affected teams are making more lineup changes in a day - lots of platooning, etc.

If anyone runs into this “surprise, our pitchers are on the bench” situation moving forward (5/15 and onward), please let me know.

1 Like

In league 52 a few days ago it also happened to me. Nats/Phillies was rained out and I took Galvis and Werth out of my lineup. At around 8pm ET I checked my live page to see that they were both in my lineup.

Back to 791. On Saturday may 6th I put Andrew Miller in at RP for Neftali Feliz. It didn’t take and I saw Miller on our bench a little later

1 Like

I am also in 791 and I have had this problem. I will be honest that this is something I would only notice if it was super obvious. It happened to me this past Wednesday, 5/10, when I had taken Votto out and put Tommy Joseph in because the Reds were off. The only other time I noticed this issue was actually 4/4 when I benched Odorizzi and then halfway through the start saw he was in my lineup. This was in league 725 though.

1 Like

Also I am someone who always has players in every position and swap out, I do not leave positions empty.

1 Like

Yeah they were mostly day of which is how I typically manage my team. As far as starting pitchers, go I manage all my teams like you described because years ago I screwed up and left my SP slots full and then couldn’t add some west coast starters.

1 Like

Has anyone solved this issue? I’m noticing it a lot more this season.

I’m a Mac user on Chrome as well version 67.0.3396.99

Could you give some specific examples? I have never personally encountered this issue. The lineup page is written such that if the site shows the lineup change, it has already been saved in the database.

I think it’s a little hard to take screenshots, but I’ll describe the issues.

1. When I move players from the DL to the bench or lineup for the current day it saves. Then for the following days it reverts back to that player being on the DL.
  2. A similar issue occurs when moving a position player to a different spot in the lineup. It reverts back to the previous day’s lineup when viewing future days.

I have to manually make adjustments each time for each day for how ever long I want to make that lineup active.

1 Like

Ok, this is very helpful. My guess is that you’ve set lineups for some days into the future, and then when you go back and make changes, it isn’t updating the future lineups you’ve already set. So today’s Monday, maybe you’ve already set lineups for Tuesday->Friday. Then you make a change on Tuesday, but that change isn’t reflected for Wednesday->Friday.

This is a tricky UX question - the site assumes that if you’ve set a lineup in the future, it shouldn’t be affected by any changes you make before that future date. Maybe this is not the correct behavior, and all lineup changes should be pushed into all future lineups? That might result in some unexpected lineup changes too, depending on how you use the site.

I can make an argument for either behavior. I’ve chosen to go with the notion that if a user has made a lineup change for a future date, nothing should affect that lineup. Maybe knowing this makes it easier to not run into this particular issue? Feedback is very welcome.

Now that I’m thinking about it, the site may not even require a lineup change be made - it may save a future lineup if you just visit a future date. That seems like a bad choice! I will investigate further.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but based on what you said I think it’s because I don’t login every day.

For that reason I adjust the pitchers when they are scheduled to start for sometimes 1 week in advance just so I don’t forget. Then I go back and make adjustments as needed for DL assignments or hot/cold streaks for example.

From what you stated this is causing the issues so maybe there needs to be some kind of logic exception for Starting Pitching. The same reasoning could be applied to batters and their matchups too, but I don’t think it’s as common.

1 Like

Yeah, that is definitely it. I’ll have to think about how best to handle this use case. Thanks for the details, very helpful.

Suggestion: Can lineup changes affect only a particular positional slot for future days, and only until that slot is next changed? Here’s the scenario:

1. I set my lineups for opening day, and the site assumes those players should show up in those slots for all future days until I change something.

2. I move someone into the 1B slot for Monday because of a matchup, and the site assumes that player should show up in the 1B slot for all future days until I change something.

3. I move someone else into the 1B slot for Tuesday, and the site assumes that player should show up in the 1B slot for all future days until I change something.

4. I look at Wednesday’s lineup and do nothing. The site does nothing.

5. I move a bench player into the SS slot for Thursday, and the site assumes that player should show up in the SS slot for days after Thursday until I change something for that slot. The original SS still shows up in that slot for all days from Opening Day through Wednesday.

6. Now I move a bench player into the 2B slot for Monday, and the site assumes that player should show up in the 2B slot for all days after Monday, until I change something for that slot.

7. I move a bench player into the SS slot for Tuesday, and the site assumes that player should show up in the SS slot for all days after Tuesday but before Thursday (i.e., Wednesday), until I change something for that slot.

1 Like

I’ve tinkered around with this kind of logic, but have run into issues with other processes, namely the speed of updating the Today’s Stats page and scoring/standings pages. I might take a stab at this logic in the off-season, but it seems high-risk to engage with during the season when these issues don’t seem to widespread affect how people use the site, i.e. most people set their lineups every day and most changes are propagated in a way people expect.

I should add I think what @William_Wallace wrote out is a good outline of how a lineup page SHOULD work.

Definitely not a high priority. It works OK as it is.

I kinda like it the way it is.

I use the existing functionality to prevent oddball lineups from accidentally sticking around too long. For example, when there’s a Monday with many teams inactive, I move a lot of players around to try to fill as many active slots as possible. But I’m always a little worried that I will forget to set everything back to normal, or make a mistake in doing so. So, as a safeguard, before I set my Monday lineup, I make one small change to my Tuesday lineup, so my Monday changes will be limited to Monday.

It’s not a big deal, and I’ll roll with any changes. Just wanted to cast one vote for “it’s a feature.” :grinning:

2 Likes

Well, once it is documented, then it becomes a feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes