H2H Leagues with customizable categories

What are the odds we could create H2H leagues with custom categories? I would move my long-standing dynasty league from Yahoo to Ottoneu in a heartbeat if I could get the desired categories in place.

I think there are two requests combined here:

1. Category-based H2H (as opposed to the points games that are currently available)

2. Customizable scoring

Both of these wishlist items are very interesting to me and I’d like to address them both, but I cannot guarantee them before the 2019 season at this time.

2 Likes

The category-based H2H request is also mentioned here:

Hi @nivshah

Our league follows 4x4 Classic Scoring. We are very interested in playoffs. Moving to the FanGraphs or SABR scoring systems for playoffs is giving us pause (we know it is not required to have playoffs, but we are excited about the idea). These scoring systems include many categories not found in 4x4 (steals, caught stealing, saves, holds, etc). And, we’re wondering if that’s a good idea to run a team one way for 80% of the season, and then switch for the last month to determine the winner.

So, as a wishlist item, we kindly request some thought given to opening up playoffs to all scoring categories. It could still be H2H, but just using the 4x4 categories. Is there is prohibitive reason that doesn’t allow a mix of H2H with 4x4?

Thanks as always,

Hey @nivshah - I see the related questions. One difference is that we are fine with the 4x4 categories, but just want to see them in the playoffs.

And, I cleaned up my dual wishlist post and split off the other idea.

Per this post:

So this thread tracks requests for category-based H2H, which includes category-based H2H playoffs.

1 Like

I was just wondering if this would be a possibility for 2020? I too, as the commish of an ESPN 12 teamer would move our league to Ottoneu in a heartbeat if we could customize categories and play either H2H or roto. We’ve bee playing 6 x 6 for years and our guys don’t really wanna change categories.

Ottoneu is awesome. The work done on it is remarkably elegant.

What are your categories in 6x6?

I’m interested in adding roto H2H to baseball but I’ll need to investigate the technical hurdles before committing to it.

Wow. Thank for your quick response.

We have been playing H2H with these categories.

Batters: R, AVG, HR, RBI, OPS, SLG

Pitchers: QS, K, K9, SV, ERA, WHIP

Interested in possibly switching over to roto as a league possibly although that may require some persuasion. I play in another Ottoneu league and from a technical aspect it is superior and lets you to alot more than other platforms, especially in the keeper arena.

2 Likes

I generally hesitate to add new scoring formats or full-out custom scoring to Ottoneu because the game is extremely niche and dividing up the small community only makes an intimidating format more intimidating. Because of this, I’m not sure adding this 6x6 makes the most sense, though I do see the appeal of those categories.

I remain interested in roto-based H2H however and will look more closely at that this offseason.

3 Likes

Oops…I meant to type SB instead of slugging. Our view of these categories was to balance power, contact and base running as equally as possible on the offense and also to balance, starting pitching value vs relief pitching value. We felt we didn’t like scoring that over valued one type of player too much and wanted more balance. Maybe we could look to the points system you have developed. Either way, if 6 x 6 opens up at some point I’m confident we would all like to move over.

Thanks for you response.

1 Like

I’d love to see a 4x4 H2H option, I think it would be a good format for OPL.

Glad this thread was revived - if there’s interest in category-based H2H (probably just our 4x4 or 5x5 formats, but in H2H form), please let me know!

2 Likes

A couple of my leaguemates in 1344 have expressed interest in the past, I’ll point them to this thread

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d love this as an option for 4x4 leagues. Gogo 1344! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please make sure to use the vote button