Ottoneu Surplus Calculator (2018 version)

That is impressive! I’m not sure about the IP projection, but it is certainly within the distribution of outcomes.

That’s what makes this tool (and projections) so cool, they bring guys onto your radar which were not there before!

1 Like

The Steamer ROS projections for Gohara caught my eye late last year, it’s why I own him in a few spots. Lots of volatility for any young pitcher, but he has the pedigree.

Any idea when values will be out for 5x5 etc…

I’m hoping to get those loaded today, but no promises

1 Like

Okay, I have loaded updated $ values for all four formats.

3 Likes

Ok @eamuscatuli last year Judge had a ridiculous season at 8.37 P/G. You had him worth $59, the highest of any OF. For 2018, Steamer has Trout at 8.6 P/G, and your Calc has him worth $78. My assumption is that the gap between 8.37 P/G and 8.6 P/G is not $19, but that the projections (Steamer) assume a lot less production for all other OF outside of Trout, making his 8.6 P/G and the gap to the next best (Harper) pretty wide. Yes?

Now looking at Harper, it looks like he’s projected (Steamer) at 8.1 P/G for 2018. I guess the interesting thing here is that last year Judge was worth just $59 at 8.37, but this year in the projections Harper is worth $61 at 8.1 P/G. The gap in projected value ($19) between Trout (#1) and Harper (#2) make sense; the fact that the rest of the OF class is projected so far below Harper to make his 8.1 P/G now worth $61 has me scratching my head. Per the 2015 end-of-year values, Harper’s 8.76 P/G (his monster outlier year) was worth $66. Next closest was Trout at $52 at 7.60 P/G.

Okay, two changes to announce:

1. I updated the $ values for all four formats, the changes are likely small but I tweaked the positional baselines I was using based on data I compiled from 30 first year FGPts auctions in '17
  2. I changed the $ value tabs for the four formats to automatically import values from an external sheet. The benefit of this is that even if you don’t have the most up to date SC, the default $ values will be up to date.
3 Likes

Thanks Justin!!

Thanks for this tool! I have already found it useful.

Would you mind sharing the methodology of how the $ values are created? When I put the FGPts parameters into the auction calculator I get very different dollar values than the ones assigned here. I am guessing this may be related to one or more of the following:

• Different pitcher/hitter % breakdown
  • Difference between the steamer projections on the fg website and the ones in this tool
  • different methodology of calculating dollar values than what fg auction calculator uses.

Any ideas? Thanks again for all the work that went into this tool.

I plan on posting a detailed breakdown of how I calculate $ values later this winter, but for now I’ll respond to your comments:

1. Yes, I don’t force a hitter/pitcher % split based on calculated points above replacement, but instead enforce a 62/38% split based on many auctions worth of observed behavior
  2. There shouldn’t really be any difference between the Steamer projections I used for the SC $ values and those used on the auction calculator, other than changes due to players changing teams since I last updated my values
  3. This is the biggest reason, the auction calculator doesn’t make any adjustments for PPG/PIP and instead just uses total points to assign value. In a format like Ottoneu that uses G/IP caps I think that’s a mistake. You can mitigate that somewhat by using the Experimental option under League Settings in the auction calculator, but even then the dollar values it produces don’t sit well with me.
1 Like

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful to an ottonewb!

I have updated the dollar values for all four formats based on the latest Steamer projections

1 Like

Interesting:

• Bellinger $25: 146 games @ .354 wOBA
  • Cespedes $24: 143 games @ .351 wOBA
  • Thames $22: 126 games @ .352 wOBA
  • Gallo $18: 147 games @ .358 wOBA
  • Puig $18: 130 games @ .364 wOBA

Puig’s PA/G really hurts his value, huh?

Pretty much, he and Gallo are both under 4.0 PA/G, while Bellinger/Cespedes/Thames are all over 4.19 (Thames is at 4.38)

1 Like

Another question: I see that your list of players above replacement includes 33-34 players per team and about $380 per team. Does this account for the fact that most drafts do not end with an owner filling out their entire 40-person roster, and having $20 left over to use in free agency? And how might that impact dollar values of players if more money is spent on the auction?

1 Like

This won’t answer your question, but I thought some insight in how I use the calculator might be useful to you.

I assume the numbers are meant for first year leagues. I’m too lazy to find them right now, but prior articles on Rotographs have talked about inflation being around 25% depending on how old the league is, so I’ve been taking that into account. If you want to use it as a loose guide for what guys might more realistically go for in the draft, in column L on the Team Roster tab put in =J3(asterisk)1.25, go one row down and type =J4(asterisk)1.25, and so on. Again, it’s not perfect, but I think produces more realistic potential auction costs.

1 Like

I have updated the dollar values for all four formats based on the latest Steamer projections

New feature on the Surplus Calc:

Lookup tab, select player name from the dropdown in B1 to see the following information:

*Current owner in league
*Salary
*Average Salary
*2018 projected value per default SC values (specific to league format)
*2015-2017 actual $ value (FGPts only), PPG/PIP, Pts, and G/IP

As always, if you have any suggestions for the calculator please let me know!

2 Likes

Dollar values for all formats have been updated