Kenta Maeda's start, 4/10, no points?

Kenta Maeda is currently an RP but had a start today. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that his outing was recorded in my point total. Is it because he’s an RP (in an RP slot) starting a game or has the game’s stats not updated on the site? I have plenty of starts to use this early in the week, so I’m not sure why the numbers aren’t showing. Thanks for any insight!

If you wanted his start, you have to put him in SP

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the information. Will Maeda be given an ‘SP’ designation after a certain amount of games?

Sure, but its not super relevant. See the text on the lineup page above your pitching section or the thread I linked to.

I guess I’m just thinking about how someone new to Ottoneu, coming from other fantasy baseball sites, might go about it if they see “SP” and “RP” and, unfortunately, don’t catch the notice on the Lineup page. It’ll take some adjusting on my end, anyway.

Not that it happens as much as RP/SP role swaps, but will the same freedom apply to offensive players if they’re suddenly put into a position they’re not listed as? For instance, Bobby Dalbec just got called up and there’s rumors he may be playing shortstop soon. However, it doesn’t seem like I can just slot him there since he’s only listed as a 1B/3B. Unlike the Maeda case, will one have to wait for a certain amount of games before one can put him in as a shortstop?

Position players have to earn eligibility (5 starts or 10 appearances). Pitchers don’t because 5 starts is a significant percentage of the season. Pitchers have to be placed in the role they are used in to neutralize the value of SP/RP eligibility guys who come out of the pen.

Here is the banner on the lineup page, for anyone who misses it. You cannot dismiss it or hide it without a custom style sheet:

It’s definitely different than other sites, but I think most people like it much more once you get used to it.

3 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, you’re not the first person to make this mistake, although it is plainly visible on the lineup page. But as far a relatively common Ottoneu newbie mistakes, this one isn’t that bad. You lost the points, which sucks, but there’s no lasting impact on your roster.

One killer mistake is when someone doesn’t realize that cutting a $1 player won’t make their roster legal by going down to $400 with 39/40 roster spots occupied. The reason here is that you need $1 free for each free roster spot, which means you’ve got to cut a $2+ player rather than the $1 player.

I’d wager most players new to Ottoneu make at least one miscalculation when it comes to making their roster legal. To this day, I put it in a spreadsheet to game out my moves before ever making a FA bid or waiver claim when I’m up against the cap and will need to cut multiple players if I win the bid/claim. It’s just too easy to screw it up and force yourself into a position where you have to make a cut that you really don’t want to make.

Just mentioning it as something else to watch out for because navigating the Ottoneu salary cap is a little more complicated than more conventional formats.

1 Like

Thanks. Now I’m just afraid to cut anybody, haha. If I read it right, by cutting the $2 player one only loses $1 as a cap penalty but still getting $1 salary return, while cutting a $1 player would still incur the $1 cap penalty ($0.50 rounding up) but leave one without the extra dollar return.

Yep that’s right. When you cut someone, just be sure to carefully read the confirmation, because it’ll tell you what is up.

3 Likes