Proposed: Changes to in-season auction tiebreakers

Gotcha, thanks Niv. I will definitely read up on that.

I will admit, however, that when the Clevinger injury happened and the rest of my staff was stinking it up, I freaked out and bid $10 on a couple of pitchers because I (thought that I) really needed the pitchers and I anticipated others bidding on them as well.

That’s why getting them at the price of the second highest bid is important. If you value a starter at $10 and everyone else values them at $2, you should get the player at $3 rather than negotiate against yourself up to $10.

This is important in a market-based game that doesn’t have player agents or some other form of opposing party to negotiate against.

3 Likes

All bids are available as soon as the auction closes. Hit see details.

Revealed bids would just be a snipe-fest. People would start auctions at 5 am so they ended at inconvenient times.

@damgagnon I know they are available when the auction closes, I just meant why not make the bids available for all to see before the auction closes.

LOL, yes, I could see the 5 a.m thing happening.

Why not just make the winning big equal to the second place bid? This would eliminate the incentive for league leaders to bid $1 on everyone.

1 Like

Because the second place bid could be a team lower in the rankings than the winning bid, and in that case the lower-ranked team should win?

Isn’t that what this proposal is doing?

I think we have a misunderstanding. I’m not making a case about police-states. I’m saying you’re never going to achieve the utopian Vickrey style because of how differently people are going to bid on players at different points throughout the year. Vickrey tie-breakers isn’t going to change people from over-bidding on players for any reason.

But my suggestion here is that what you are arguing is ‘supposed’ to be the case isn’t the way the economic design plays-out.

The in-season economy of ottoneu is designed completely around the minimum cost of rostering a player- otherwise I could add an endless number of players and cut them without shouldering any expense. $1 up-bids are simply the strategic reality of this system; if both a $1 and $2 player both carry the same $1 minimum roster cost if released, then why shouldn’t an in-season FA cost $2 and then people who are $1 “true-value” seekers are mostly rewarded for taking that risk pre-season in the draft?

I don’t see it as a “bad-faith bid”. I see it as a strategic bid that fits ottoneu’s economic design as a risk-centric (or roster cost) one (and not a player value-based one). And it’s a strategy that enhances the gameplay.

Then we have a disconnect over what the founders apparently intended the ottoneu system to be and how it actually plays-out in reality. If it was meant to be about true-value price discovery, then there shouldn’t be a penalty for releasing players. But of course that’s insane, because competitively speaking there needs to be a cost for releasing players… and then that’s where some people see strategies as “bad-faith” while others see it as “systemically appropriate”.

Right, my point is to tweak this rather than changing all tie-breakers.

A nominating team that did not place a bid on the player would only be “forced” to take the player at a $1 cost if no other team placed a bid. Otherwise, the nominating team would not be part of any $1 tie-breaker. This not only keeps nominating teams from putting “100 players” up without cost (as they’d still have to take them if no other team bids), and it also makes it possible for a first-place team to win a $1 bid on any player they didn’t nominate (or inserting the potential penalty of being stuck with a $1 player that a team tried to up-bid). Any nominating team would of course have to make a bid of $1 and not just assume that it would be automatically entered for them by the game.

I don’t understand where this suggestion (and minor tweak, relative to a lottery system) becomes a disaster?

It does promote league engagement but I think the primary benefit for in-season auctions is the strategic flexibility of post-draft roster management.

But it’s not that top teams won’t win low-cost players at auction; it’s that they’re less-likely to do so.

Regarding the number of auctions in any league, assuming a fully-engaged league I would think the number of in-season auctions would be directly related to the roster/budget health of each team in the league. Which is to say, how effective people are at playing the game within its economic constraints. This doesn’t change by helping nominating teams win a player.

It’s also arguably another way for the “better” or more-engaged owners to have an advantage, is it not?

Again, I don’t see it as “overbidding” as I do the market’s natural correction for the economic design of the in-season (non-auction draft) format. Nor do I agree that top teams “have” to overbid; no one knows who is bidding or how much, so any top team bidding $2 instead of $1 is only assuming that someone else is going to bid $1. Which is to say, they’re placing their bid based on their perception of market activity, and if they don’t care about losing a $1 bid then they certainly don’t “have” to bid $2.

I don’t think the assessment that the current system prohibits league activity and engagement, and therefore this “fix” is appropriate, is necessarily accurate. I just haven’t seen it in leagues I’m in where in-season FA activity is tempered because of the tie-break rules.

No, it’s fixing a controversial and sometimes-broken tie-breaker.

Neither am I, and this proposal isn’t about over-bidding. You are missing or intentionally ignoring the point. At this stage, it feels like you are arguing just to argue. I think you have stated your case, and I disagree.

You do realize @nivshah, the guy you are arguing with, IS the founder and owner of Ottoneu and has played for a decade. I think you should consider respecting and appreciating the fact that he is willing to take time out of his busy schedule and have a dialogue with us on this topic at all.

I do!

I’m sorry!!!

!@#$%^&*!, I was simply engaging in conversation over something I feel is a fundamental misunderstanding over how the games design actually plays out. But if you say I’m the problem, then I guess I have nothing else to add.

Again, I sincerely apologize.

Peace.

Making all bids view-able during a pending auction would probably lead to lots of conversations bordering on collusion.

I think that a segment of Otto would really like this proposal, so I think it’d be good to have it as an option. But I also agree with @ballnglove82 that it’s too complex for a segment of Otto. We have questions every year in the preseason when auctions or waivers are decided by a coin toss.

I also think his suggestion (and others) of tie going to the nominator has merit and seems logical and addresses the desire to incentivize starting an auction. It does mean that anyone could bid $1 on a player with no risk of winning the auction to drive up the price, so his solution of only forcing the nominator to place a $1 bid only if no one else bids addresses that issue. So the only issue that his suggestion doesn’t address is prioritizing/assisting teams lower in the rankings. Maybe there’s still a way to do it, or maybe not. But I do think it’s a good option to consider as a simpler option to implement.

1 Like

The underlying point that it is a less predictive and more complicated system is a fair one. That is why it would be a league option, as I mentioned in the original post and also in thread.

I am not sure giving the tie to the nominator 100% of the time is a fair answer, because I think that over-rewards the idea of player discovery in Ottoneu. I know there is some value to player discovery, but I am not convinced that it is so valuable as to undermine one of the systems that helps teams lower in the standings get better at the margins.

I agree that most of this debate is extremely at the margins, but in aggregate I think this system would balance the various issues with the current blind auction system without abandoning Vickrey auctions for auction formats that require more time and coordination from owners. If you don’t believe the issues as outlined in the original post are game-breaking issues, well, you’re right, and you won’t be forced to adopt these fixes. I have received enough feedback to believe they are more than just nothing, however.

I was thinking of it less as player discovery and more as encouraging/rewarding teams for starting auctions. But, I don’t have very strong feelings about this either way.

1 Like

People should just assume that other managers are monitoring the player pool and might not have nominated a player yet for strategic purposes. Being ready to pull the trigger and act if a player is nominated (possibly before its ideal for their respective team) is the type of skill that should be rewarded in a deep fantasy format. Just giving nominated players to the nominating team creates an absence of strategy (ESPN, 3 bench spot basic…).

2 Likes

As with many things on this site, I really appreciate the expansion of options offered here. I think adding a “beta” option for leagues that want to try it is likely to give you the best feedback on how many are really interested in using it- and if it creates more problems than it solves.

But thank you Niv for always looking to improve the system with options; even on the margins.

3 Likes