2017 FanGraphs Points Dollar Values

Here are my calculations for actual/retrospective dollar values in FGPTS for 2017. I’ve calculated the baselines as the last player needed at each position to fill Games or IP caps, and applied a hitter/pitcher $ split that corresponds to the total points above baseline (POB/PAR) share for hitters and pitchers (which ended up at 61.4% hitting and 38.6% pitching, compared to the 62/38 split I use in my forward looking dollar values).

2017 FGPTS $ Values

6 Likes

Thanks a lot! that’s always a really good tool.

@vibbot I sincerely thank you, & all of the others (You know who you are), that put the time & effort in to making it easier for dummy’s like me, so that we are able too compare and analyze, & hopefully remain competetive. Thanks again!

2 Likes

It’s no problem at all Timmy, feedback like that is exactly why I work on the analysis and tools that I do, I’m just happy that others find them useful!

Thanks for this valuable resource.

This is fantastic work, as always! Thank you for sharing the output. But beyond that THANK YOU for showing your work and engaging with those of us who have questions about your methods.

I have one such question: What is your rationale for applying different replacement levels – which I take to be the same thing you call Base – by offensive position? In the 2017 retrospective, you used 4.49 P/G for 2B, SS, and OF, but 4.59 for 1B, 3B, and U. Larry Schechter argues pretty strongly in his book that, other than at the catcher position, there is no position scarcity among hitters, so a single replacement level should be used for all non-catcher positions. I would love to hear what you think about that.

1 Like

First- I calculate replacement level by sorting every position by PPG/PIP, then finding the point where there were enough games/innings for every team in the league to reach caps. Those PPG/PIP baselines represent where that line is for each position, with MI/UTIL factored in. Effectively I want to assign dollar values to only those players that would have been worth starting, with the benefit of retrospective knowledge.

Second- Schechter’s book is really focused on 5x5, so when he talks about the non-catcher positions being indistinguishable, he’s really just referring to that format. I agree with him by the way, in 5x5 there is very little difference in replacement level between 1B and SS, for example. In linear weights scoring formats like ottoneu FGPts, which effectively scores based on wOBA, there is a much bigger difference in true hitting performance between a 1B and SS (though it is muted a bit by there being a MI in ottoneu, but no CI).

2 Likes

Thanks for this! It’s very helpful.

Will you be plotting them on Tableau as you did last year? I found this resource essential when making offseason decisions last year (e.g. arbitration, trades, cuts): https://public.tableau.com/profile/rj7974#!/vizhome/2016FanGraphsPointsDollarValues/Batters

1 Like

That was the work of @rjweise, he’s more than welcome to incorporate any of my stuff into his Tableau visualizations!

1 Like

This is fantastic thanks! I was working on my own z-score spreadsheet the other day and I have a question. How do you decide what position to put multi-position players in? For example, Jose Ramirez is eligible at 2B and 3B. I thought the most unbiased way of evaluating would be to put the player in the position they play most, so for me he was evaluated as a 3B, but you have him in at 2B. Is it merely putting them in the position which they are most valuable?

1 Like

Correct, in cases where a player has more than one eligibility I put them at whichever position is most valuable (my hierarchy is C/SS/2B/OF/3B/1B, with OF/3B being virtually identical).

1 Like

Hi just wondered if you know how many total FG points were generated for 2017 season. Thank you.

Do you mean for all players? Or in an average league?

Thanks for your reply. I meant in this league but otherwise average is ok.