Add ability to "show interest" in players on other rosters

One additional request that is somewhat linked to this previous request:

I think it would be especially helpful (especially just following arbitration), if there were an easier way for owners to express interest in another owner’s players. Yes, you can certainly go to the inbox and send a note about the players you’re interested in, but you have to flip back and forth between pages (especially on mobile) - it would be nice if this were more automated, and it would enhance the trade communication between owners.

One suggestion would be to have a small checkbox next to each player’s name on the Roster page. I could then click the box next to each player’s name and when I hit “submit”, it would send a standard inbox message to that owner saying “Lucky Strikes is interested in players A, B, C, D, and E”. It would be somewhat like the automated Trade Block updates, except it would be between just two owners (private).

1 Like

I just send a trade offer listing who I like, and no one on my end. Also helps to add a note to clarify.

1 Like

Could someone help me understand why this is a better solution than existing messaging solutions?

Is there an easy way to do this today on mobile that I’m missing?

Let’s say I like seven players on your team. I’m getting old but I can’t always remember each of the players I want to tell you about without flipping back and forth between your roster screen and the inbox message I’m typing to list them. That constant toggle between screens on mobile is challenging on the go, and short of just sending a fake trade offer with all of them listed, it seems like their should be a faster way.

I could be missing something. This isn’t an issue on desktop but I assume most owners are using mobile. If I’m trying to lay the groundwork for interest in players on 11 other teams, a different method would save time.

Mobile is a good point, though I can imagine a number of other solutions you could employ in that situation.

This is not a correct assumption at this time.

If others have thoughts, please let me know. I have heard ESPN used to have something like this and some of you liked it, I think?

I don’t post here much but I’m curious why the propose trade feature won’t work? I’d rather niv spend his time on other projects, as what is being requested here already exists…

I think the point @LuckyStrikes made about mobile experience is a fair one, but I don’t think this will be high priority for now. I don’t think Ottoneu particularly has the “not enough trades” problem so while I believe the solution proposed could be interesting, it’s working towards a problem that Ottoneu at this time does not have.

Maybe a better, easier way to accomplish this (and to be clear, the goal is not to create more trades, but to make it easier to communicate interest in another owner’s players, particularly on mobile, when switching between multiple leagues):

What if an additional button was added to the Trade Window (when you receive a trade) next to Approve, Counter, Reject that was called “Interest” (example)? Clicking this button would function somewhat like the Counter button, taking you back to the roster trade view, but would allow you to just click the players you like on the other owners roster without selecting one of your own. It would generate an email to the other owner of “Players I’m interested in include…”

Communication is only an issue if there aren’t enough actual trades being generated due to lack of communication. I still think Ottoneu has a very good set of tools for communication, especially because it encourages engaging in conversation with your leaguemates, which is essential for a league’s longevity for a number of reasons.

Communication is not a goal unto itself, it is a step towards making sure leagues last longer and trades are both somewhat common and fair.

I was under the assumption you could not send a “blank” trade offer without selecting at least one player on your own roster. Maybe this is fine then.

1 Like

I am pretty sure you can send trade offers that only have players from one team in them, but feel free to confirm / deny this, would be good to know.

I do it all the time, mostly to show interest in a group of players but occasionally to clear cap in season

1 Like

I have traded a borderline keeper in season with no loan, or even with a small loan from the other team. Essentially you avoid the hassle/wait of re-auctioning players you cut to reduce the cap penalty

1 Like

You can send an offers without including players of your own. I think there’s actually a badge for it.

I still like this idea. Anything that helps team managers become more active and helps drive involvement is going to be good for league heath!

Adding this feature isn’t about the people who have figured out a good workaround, its about providing a tool for managers who haven’t figured it out…

Along the same vein, when proposing a trade it would be helpful if players that were given arbitration dollars were highlighted when contemplating a trade with specific respective teams. Would be a good reminder that a trade opportunity exists with that owner.

1 Like

The first time I received an offer listing of my best players without anyone in return, I was like “WTF!?!” because the comment didn’t show in the email (i.e., “I’m interested in one of these guys for Player X”). But it actually is a pretty effective way of signaling interest in players.