Adding players and then cutting them right away?

I just had one owner in one of my leagues start auctions on 13 players, win all 13 players and then cut all 13 player. Can anyone let me the positive strategy behind that. Why would someone do that?

Could be related to this:

Could be just simply not wanting to keep any of the guys at the prices they won them at?

Could just ask the person who did this?

In all 13 auctions the winner was the only one bidding. It was PAPIFANTASY.

Ok, did you ask them?

I am in several leagues with him and he does this a lot. I don’t believe me asking him directly will help me or change his behavior. I am asking as a question of strategy .

Given you don’t know why he’s doing it, not sure why you would think his behavior should change. He likely has a good reason (I suspect reducing cap penalties) but the only way to find out is to ask him.

If you’re asking generally why someone would do that, it’s about the cap penalties, per Niv’s post and link above. Could also just be trying to stir up action I guess. But I’d just ping the manager and ask.

The key piece of information missing here is whether the 13 players were contributing to cap penalties or not. Were these 13 players previously cut by the owner over 30 days ago? Were these 13 players randomly put up for auction? A mix of both?

If they were contributing to cap penalties, then the strategy is trying to reduce the penalties. You can drop the players again and cut the penalties in half.

If the players are contributing to penalties but only at $1, you cannot cut it in half. However, by starting the auction, you might pique the interest of an opponent to also bid. That opponent then takes the player and the cap penalty disappears. There really is no loss in starting an auction for a player who is contributing $1 of penalty, assuming you just drop the player if you win.

Now… If these are just random players on the waiver, then the strategy makes no sense. This owner is just accumulating penalties for no reason. I wager this cannot be the case.

2 Likes

I did a little research and appears that most of the 13 were players that he cut before. I didn’t spend a lot of time to research if it was all of them.So, maybe the thing that I am missing is how does that competitively help him by cutting them a 2nd time. I can see if an owner cut a player he had a $20 and then after a month and improve play on the field you get him for $10 and then keep him. I have done that a small amount of times. Maybe it’s me but I don’t worried as much about cap penalties but just trying to make my team better and win.

Freeing up cap space is a great way to improve your options on the waiver wire going forward, especially as new players that were just drafted start signing and getting added to the player pool.

Agreed. Also, coming into the trade deadline, having some extra cash is advantageous to get those guys who might get a boost being on their new team (if they are not already taken, of course).