Baseball draft room giving "Error communicating with server" message

I’ve received some sporadic reports of people unable to get the draft room to load. I believe it is mostly happening for people using Chrome, but I am not 100% sure. I know that switching to an alternate browser has resolved the issue for anyone who ran into it.

I am trying to find someone who has this issue, as both my computers are not having any trouble connecting to the draft room. If you are running into this issue during draft prep, please let me know!

After talking it over with a couple of folks in Slack, this is what I’ve discovered on this issue:

1. It is only affecting Google Chrome. Using another browser is a very simple way to sidestep this issue.
  2. It is not affecting all Google Chrome users, but a subset. This is making it very hard to narrow down.
  3. For those who want to dive in a bit more, the issue seems to be with Google Chrome not wanting to connect to our draft server. You can see this by going to Developer Tools → Network and clicking on ‘draft/’ in the list of network connections the draft room makes. I have a report of this connection erroring out with a message similar to the following: This site can’t be reached The webpage at wss://ottoneu.fangraphs.com/draft/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME

If you are so inclined to help me get to the bottom of the issue, I’d be interested in what the Developer Tools → Network tab displays for the ‘draft/’ connection in Google Chrome, only if you receive this red connection error. The item in the Network list should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 1.02.31 PM

I will share any update as I can. Thanks everyone.

If you’re running into this issue on Chrome, the best advice I can give you is to switch to Firefox.

The second best advice I can give you that has worked for a couple of users is to clear your cache and restart Chrome.

The third best advice I can give you is try loading the draft page in Incognito mode - you’ll need to log in again, but it almost certainly will work.

The fourth best advice I can give you goes back to the first - try it out in Firefox.

1 Like

Hey Niv! Just seeing this thread now. I am having this issue as well. Let me know how I can help and/or if you want to hop on a call to troubleshoot. Thanks!

Clearing your cache should fix it. Figuring out what in the cache is causing this issue isn’t a super high priority.

1 Like

The offer still stands that if you need someone to troubleshoot, I’m willing to help!

Thank you for that, I really do appreciate it.

Websockets apparently by design do not give a lot of information about why a connection failed, so the best way to figure out what is going on is to 1) confirm that clearing cache fixes the issue, and then 2) try and track what websites you visited that causes the issue to come back

Can confirm that clearing cache did not solve the problem but moving to Edge did resolve it.

1 Like

Make sure to do a full cache clear and restart the browser. That has worked for multiple people. The one person it hasn’t worked for just stuck with Firefox.

Opening an Incognito window worked for me, was still able to use Chrome. For fun I also tried Firefox, that worked just fine.

1 Like

Incognito is a good test. If that works, that means it has to be something related to the cache, which isn’t utilized in Incognito mode, or an extension, which are disabled in Incognito mode.

I’m getting a red bar reading “Error Communicating with Server. Trying to reconnect…” when entering the auction draft lobby via Chrome (on laptop) for League 1202: Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball - home - The Kids Can Play

This error does not happen when accessing via another browser (Firefox). Our draft is Sunday. Not sure if this is a widespread problem or something with my device. It’s happened two days in a row when testing.

Here is a thread about this problem with some solutions.

What’s odd for me is that this will be my 3rd draft in 3 weeks…all on Chrome and now it’s not working (it worked perfect in my other two drafts). The first draft was H2H points. The second 4x4. This draft is FGPTS league. Not sure if that has anything to do with it as that is the only difference. I CAN however get in using Microsoft Edge or whatever it’s called.

It’s more likely that some site you visited since your last draft or some extension you installed since your last draft has introduced a problem. Does Incognito mode work?

I’ll check in a bit. But yeah, there’s been a few updates in the last week.

Incognito DOES work, thanks.

1 Like

Great! Glad to hear that.

Incognito working means its almost certainly a combination of something in the local browser cache combined with some extension, and given the variety of combiantions there, it is pretty hard to pin down what specifically is causing this problem.

2 Likes