Changes to how Spring Training stats are displayed

I’ve rolled out a few changes to how spring training stats are displayed on the site.

1. Minor league stats will no longer include ST stats as part of the aggregate for the whole season (player pages, search results, lineup page, roster organizer, team page, etc)
  2. Spring Training games will no longer be included in the position eligibility tracker graphs on player pages
  3. Spring training aggregate stats no longer are intermingled with MILB stats. Instead, they will appear in their own box on player pages, and will disappear once 10 MLB regular season games are played in the current season.

Spring training stats are very fun to look at before the regular season begins, but they become much less relevant once regular season baseball begins. I’m hoping to have them display on player pages but only when they are at their most relevant, and otherwise hide them on various parts of the site. If you have any thoughts or feedback on this, let me know!

2 Likes

I noticed that spring training games began showing up in the Last 10 MiLB Games table on player pages, personally I’d rather see the previous year’s games visible until the player plays enough games. This is more applicable to minor league pitchers as it obviously takes much longer to play 10 games in season.

For me, there are too many variables with ST stats to pay much attention. For example an advanced pitcher (AA/AAA) could be facing a split squad team filled with lower level minor leaguers and throw 5 shutout innings with 10 Ks, stats look great but level of competition wasn’t high and context means a lot when looking at ST stats. It’s also nice to compare the start of a new season against how a pitcher finished the previous year. I understand these at small snapshots and sortable in Fangraphs but it’s nice to quickly view this on the Ottoneu player page.

This is by far the best fantasy platform due in large part to your willingness to add and innovate. This is just my feedback on ST stats in the Last 10 Games tables.

I purposefully left those in, but I definitely could give them the same treatment as the full-season stats, i.e. put them in a separate table and only display them while it is actually Spring Training-ish.

1 Like

I think that would be great!

1 Like

I’ve separated out ST individual games from the game log, and they’ll appear again on player pages ahead of next season.

2 Likes