Decouple Doubleheader Games

The doubleheaders are especially tricky this year. I understand the frustration about these 7-inning games and how they can burn down position caps while not returning as many PAs per game.

In the short-term, we’re already almost 1/3 of the way into the season and everyone is in the same boat. Making a change mid-stream in 2020 would go against a lot of the now-established practice of giving lead time for rule and gameplay changes. Since we wouldn’t be able to retroactively address the number of doubleheaders that have already happened, any change at this point would feel a little unfair or reactionary.

Looking beyond 2020, there’s a concerted effort by MLB to reduce the number of doubleheaders across the board. While I’m intrigued by some of the suggestions in this thread (especially @damgagnon’s idea of an additional interface to optionally select a portion of the doubleheader), I wonder if any solution would only be for a really limited number of games and would add more clutter to the lineup page for only a marginal improvement.

Given how much emphasis people put on managing their daily lineups, any improvement here might be worth it, so I’ll experiment with some ideas and revisit this in the offseason. I’ll use this thread to share some ideas as I prototype them out, perhaps?

For this season though, I think we all have to collectively play the hand we are dealt.

I don’t have all the answers here so please let me know if you have any other thoughts about decoupling doubleheaders in the future.

4 Likes