Development Update, December 2018

In the vein of the November update, here is how I did and what I have next.

1. NFL score / game info rolled out successfully. We didn’t meet our goals in terms of making sure NFL updates started properly every game day, and I am actively working with our data provider on that issue.

2. Baseball renewals with new pricing and renewal dates are live.

3. H2H SP GS Hard Cap (try and keep up with those acronyms!) is now live in league settings.

4. While FanGraphs leaderboards have not been addressed quite yet, the majority of wishlist items from the November update were implemented, including a brand new team production page.

For December, my goals are the following:

1. Allow teams to ‘withdraw’ from new leagues that have not drafted yet with a full automated refund. The goal here is to make joining a league easier and leaving a league in which the initial league draft doesn’t fit your schedule easier. This should be rolled out this week.

2. More playoff options for baseball leagues. The goal here is to build playoff options for 14 and 16 team leagues and to give more options to avoid the last week of the MLB regular season.

3. Exploratory work on a couple wishlist items, including better UX for watchlists and the transaction lists, and of course the Football Roster Organizer. I will update as I make progress on some of the stuff I have in mind.

These updates are made in the spirit of transparency and to show the various ways I’m actively trying to improve the site before the 2019 season. In that vein, let me know if you have other ideas or wishlist items that you’d like my feedback on.

Thanks as always for your continued support of Ottoneu Fantasy Sports.

10 Likes

Hi Niv, in the November thread you mentioned adding the H2H SP GS Hard Cap (keeping up with the acronyms) for leagues that do playoffs only H2H. Is that still in the works as a part of #2 above? Would love to introduce this in my league. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, great reminder! I did mention this downthread and have not implemented it yet. I’ll get it on this week or next and update in this thread.

Goal #1 has been deployed: teams can now leave new leagues before they’ve drafted with a full refund. This no longer requires any intervention from me, as well.

If you’re interested in joining a new league, you no longer have to worry about not getting your money back if you have to leave before the first year draft, etc.

Matchup GS Cap has been introduced as a playoff league setting in addition to being a H2H league setting. For those of you who have playoff leagues, you can now set your GS Cap per a playoff game.

H2H leagues will have to set a GS cap in both places

2 Likes

Woo! Thanks Niv!

1 Like

I’ve made some small changes to the mobile experience:

1. Football lineups and game pages now show player points without requiring any horizontal scrolling. This should make it easier to see how your players are performing at a glance.

2. Baseball team pages no longer break on mobile.

I’m aware the mobile experience is not the greatest, and I want to keep making changes like this to improve the experience. Most of the issues are relatively small display issues that I haven’t focused on or am not aware of, so if you see something that bothers you on mobile, please post about it in the Tech Support forum.

Thanks!

Is there any way to make possible game 163’s an option for leagues to use/not use stats from those extra games?

Once the new playoff options roll out, there will be some ways to avoid the last week of the regular season. However, there aren’t any current plans to allow skipping game 163s. They count as regular season games, and being able to arbitrarily skip a regular season game isn’t in the plans.

This isn’t set in stone (almost nothing is!), so if you want to make an argument through a wishlist item, please feel free.

Today we’ve released two features promised in this update:

1. Commissioners now have more flexible playoff options, including number of playoff teams (4, 6 or 8) and the ability to avoid the last week of the MLB regular season by shortening the championship game to 1 week. Visit your league’s commissioner tools -> League Settings to check this out.

2. Watchlists now allow removing multiple players at a time. This should make the process of managing your team’s watchlist much, much simpler.

3 Likes

Niv, how does this setting deal with a 2 week playoff? If the setting is say, 8 GS Cap, does that mean the two week playoff will only allow 8 starts, or 16?

Good question!

For 2-week playoff games - NOT for longer regular season matchups, only 2-week playoff games - the GS Cap will be for each week.

I’ll update the Commissioner League Settings page with text indicating this.

1 Like

I’ve created a thread about the per-matchup GS cap to collect all questions going forward.

1 Like