Draft Room Freezing 3/7/2021

I’ve made another change as of about 9:18pm ET that may help.

I’m seeing a lot of lag, draft paused anything we can do to implement the changes?

I’m not sure. I’m continuing to investigate but I see the draft server just… not behaving as well as it did on the previous server. I’ve given it more resources and I hope this helps a tiny bit.

Thanks niv. Not much better but appreciate your work

1 Like

I really apologize for the issues tonight. Think there were a couple of things reducing how many resources the draft server could use, but still seeing some issues and continuing to investigate.

Seems to be working better in 1022… Thanks as always for all you do!!

1 Like

just had 1/3 of our teams get booted…

1 Like

Yeah I’m sorry I’m kind of poking at everything right now and I definitely just caused a bit of a hiccup. I will hold off on any changes going forward and please share any feedback from this point on about your draft tonight.

Hi Niv, our draft (league 1022) is currently having server issues. Most of the league members keep getting disconnected from the draft with the message “Error connecting to server”

1 Like

been smooth sailing for the past 30min+ prior to that

1 Like

Ok you’ve convinced me I’m outta here before I break anything else.

Again, to everyone who had issues tonight: I apologize profusely and I hope they were not too overwhelming. I really deeply appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding while I worked to fix these issues, and I appreciate the helpful feedback as well.

1 Like

thanks for all you do Niv!

If anything else occurs I’ll be sure to post with as much detail as possible

1 Like

We just wrapped for the night; seemed fine the rest of the time, hiccup around 10:57 EST, but may have just been my connection or a bid overload.

Thanks Niv!

1 Like

We had numerous issues in 979 tonight as well. We started at 7pm EST and everything was going well until around 8:45pm or so and then there was a lot of freezing, logouts, etc.

And last night, in 653, there was a major hiccup right at 9pm EST (only real problem that night).

Don’t mean to be whining, just trying relay information that might be helpful in tracking down the issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Appreciate it. Hope it was smoother after 915p or so tonight.

I think the server had some connection limitations that it hit around 845pm or 9pm tonight. I increased the connection limits and made some other server setting tweaks that seemed to help immediately and should help a lot going forward.

We had a big draft night tonight but not our biggest, so I’ll continue to track performance and see if there are more performance improvements to make.

Niv, so you have a picture of what the user related issues seemed to be last night for at least us in 301:

1. Error connecting sporadically through the draft.
  2. The clock was not fluid. I had at least three instances where I placed a bid on a player with like 12-13 seconds left, and it would pause and then reconnect with a player having been won for $2-$3 more.
  3. About a 2 second lag between when a bud was placed and when it changed to the next bid.
  4. Jump bids (where a player typed a price or plus 5d etc…) became an issue because of the lag. I had a couple instances where I plus oned someone, got the red notification, and ended up plus 10 or something because someone else placed a dollar bid and the server lag caught my plus one after that owners bid.
  5. Each actual “bid” took between 3-5 seconds to actually register.
  6. The clock hit zero (once I started counting) 16 times on various players only to show a revised bid. I’m guessing this was the clock and server not syncing or something… there was also about a 2-3’second lag on most player auctions ending after the clock hit zero and no one had bid again.

Biggest issue was really getting down to like 4-5 seconds left and the server freezing without the auction freezing. It did get a little better around 11:00 or so.

2 Likes

Thanks for the details here Joe. I would have expected significant improvement to the experience around 9:30pm last night, with a total degradation briefly at 9:50p, and then good from there on out. This aligns with what @whocan_dancan reported, so I’m disappointed to hear you had issues after 10pm ET last night, around when I wrote this post:

The long and the short of it was our webserver simply did not have enough resources to process all the connections coming in from peak draft time, which started around 9pm ET last night. This aligns with the first report in this thread and was identified and remedied around 9:20pm ET. The second degradation at 9:50pm ET was due to me continuing to address internal latency on the server.

After midnight ET, once no auction drafts were running, I found some other opportunities to improve internal latency on the server, and those changes were pushed out around 1am ET. My expectation is that between these overnight changes and the changes around 9:20pm ET, the server will be much better at managing an even larger number of auction drafts at the same time going forward.

The other issue that I noticed was that if I put in a manual bid in an effort to speed up the draft, ala someone started Judge at $1 and I tried to jump to $25 to expediate the auction, there were moments when my bid seemed to be ignored and the software favored the quick +1,+2,+5 bids as opposed to my high manually entered bid. I didn’t keep an exact count, but it happened at least a handful of times.

1 Like

I think this is tied into the general lag that was prevalent before more connection resources were given to the web server. I’ve made even more changes this morning to allow for more connections and faster processing of connections, especially during the auction draft. Really hoping last night was a one-off.

1 Like

I noticed things improve significantly for the last hour of the 301 auction. 836 is auctioning tomorrow but I’m hoping it was just a one off too thanks Niv!

1 Like