Ensuring football teams can field a lineup

Hi Niv
I know I’m new to these posts and it is not about extending the trade deadline. My issue is I’m in a league that a player has constantly not fielded a roster but has 9 college players on this roster. I understand about rebuilding because I’ve been playing Ottenue for at least 8 years. By not fielding a roster he is throwing games that is not fair to other owners. Is there any way to penalize this Owner by removing him from the league or taking away all college players away from his roster until his roster is somewhat legit.This is totally BS. If nothing can be done than I will just stop playing in Ottenue.

Here is a long thread about fielding a real team in baseball:

End of the day, this is one of the roles of your commissioner - to set expectations on fielding a real team and then enforce them however the league sees fit. I recommend discussing this with your league, and will leave this thread open in case any other football commissioners want to chime in.

2 Likes

I will add that it is entirely appropriate to admonish managers for not fielding full teams and, if a manager repeatedly flouts that request, replacing them is also pretty reasonable.

2 Likes

I echo Niv. The commissioner has the power to do just about whatever he so wishes. I commish a league myself and this is what I would do:

(1) Initiate a conversation with the whole league, ask the manager in question to explain why he is managing the roster this way, and invite the rest of the league to chime in with their thoughts.

(2) Welcome ideas on how to do create and enforce rules around having a valid roster.

(3) Vote on those ideas.

My personal idea would be that every manager has to be able to start a lineup each week with an active player in each starting position. The enforcement is trickier, but it could be forced drops like you suggest or cap penalties (I actually don’t know if the commissioner can do that but you could find de fact ways to reach that result), increasing the prices of playing currently on their roster (that is actually one way to de facto give cap penalties), or force-adding active players to their roster (this seems like the worst one). Ultimately though the real enforcement is they simply comply with the rule or get kicked out.

If you commissioner is unwilling to do anything about this situation, your problem is not with Ottoneu, it is with your commissioner. I would find a new league in that case.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. I agree with you. The commissioner of my league did put out a message about fielding complete rosters but nothing has changed with 1 owner in particular. I also play in other ESPN leagues and if you don’t field a complete roster the first offense is a fine and the 2 nd team is removal from the league.

I don’t play head to head anymore but I would be tempted to leave the league if it wasn’t addressed promptly & satisfactorily. Ottoneu is much more fun when everyone is playing fair.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding my position. I’m in 3 Ottenue Leagues and will be leaving 2 of them because of the things i feel are wrong snd don’t believe they will be in forced for next year. I love the structure of Ottenue but I’m tired of spending my money for deadbeat Owners.

Plenty of other leagues out there, even if some are bad most are full of great owners. Hope you find the right groups, as I agree ottoneu has the best structure for fantasy that I’m aware of.

1 Like

Thank you.