Evaluating Trades

There are a few tools available to those new to the format to calibrate their sense of what a fair trade is.

1. You can use the trade evaluator on the surplus calculator to see if the values are approximately equal: Ottoneu Surplus Calculator 2023

2. You can search for trades involving the key players you are attempting to trade or acquire in the trade thread to get a sense of their market value. Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball Official Trade Thread Note that the format (i.e. Fangraphs points, 5x5, etc) matters significantly in assessing value. It is also important to note whether the trade is pre-cut deadline or post-draft.

3. Additionally, you can scroll to the bottom of the individual player pages to see recent trades involving that player. The caveat regarding pre- or post-draft trades applies here as well.

Ultimately, even if you offer what appears to be market or even above market value for a player, the individual economics of your league or values that other teams place on players may make them decline your offer.

I have declined “fair” trades just because I like the players I have more than the players I’m offered. Sometimes this has to do with perceived value or upside, and sometimes it is just based on player/team preference. If another team is not interested in what you are selling, it is best to either lower your expected return, or move on to a different potential trading partner.

3 Likes