How Does Your League Approach Pre-draft Injuries?

My league is having an interesting discussion regarding how to handle season-ending injuries after the keeper deadline but prior to the annual auction draft. We’re interested to see if any other leagues already have a custom rule for season ending injuries or season long suspensions that occur before rosters are set for the season by the draft.

Please comment if your league has an approach that works or if you’re having similar conversations. We’d love to hear what options have been explored or tested already.

No, I don’t see any reason for special dispensation. One goals of Ottoneu is to simulate running a team. Since the Astros just have to deal with Altuve being out, so should a fantasy baseball team. Besides, why should an injury that happens in March be treated different than one that occurs in April-September?

7 Likes

To answer the initial question: no, I have never been in a league with custom rules on pre-draft injuries.

Having said that, I actually think it’s an interesting question (if you’re into custom rules, which I know not everyone is). To play devils advocate to @walt526 comment above, why should an injured player on Jan 30 (when then injured player can be cut penalty free) be treated differently than one on Feb 1? If an MLB team has an injury in Feb/Mar, it’s theoretically more likely that they can turn to the FA market for a replacement than in April-Sept (which might be analogous to having more money available at the auction draft?).

I think the simplest answer is to not have special rules for this, but I think it’s an interesting question.

1 Like

You need to have a keeper deadline for an Ottoneu league to work. Otherwise you’d have to play some sort of contracts league, which Ottoneu isn’t. We had a thread on why contracts aren’t an advisable addition to Ottoneu here a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Do you play in any leagues that utilize coupons or MiLB rosters?

It’s never as simple as the keeper deadline, but I’ve been in leagues where there was essentially a codicil in the league description that all teams must be legal by the keeper deadline, but that the deadline concept extended to the auction date (i.e. just let the commish know, and they’ll cut anyone for any reason prior to the auction). This was easier to handle before Niv set the keeper deadline to the same date for all leagues, as the keeper deadline and auction could be more closely aligned, but it was also clearly much more of a mess, heh. Outside of having a blanket, “anyone can do anything before the auction” I have seen leagues vote via simple majority on allowing a PF cut pre-auction–sometimes even in the auction chat. None of my leagues currently have any set rule, largely because as Walt said, why? Injuries happen, and dealing with the fallout and roster management is part of why we play ottoneu and not a redraft.

2 Likes