How much of an advantage is being active daily?

Hi,

In ottoneu, i presume there is no intense streaming, because there is a cost for every transaction, which limits the streaming, such as 2 starting pitchers in a week. Im guessing the bench is there for that matters…

Is there a big advantage for a player being active daily in roto 5x5, as much as h2h points? In h2h points, i guess having a limit of GS in pitching limit the advantage of winning just by having more volume :wink:

Also, there is the option for the league being weekly, but it doesnt suit me, drafting/setting up lines by guessing if the player going to play or not, if he is a platoon guy or not…etc.

The point is, im afraid of not having an advantage over the opponents, just because the other teams are always on their phone, and they have internet connection 100% of the time. During summer time, being away in the woods with no connection for few days isnt advantageous, but i guess, its doable by setting the line up in advance and because there isnt crazy streaming/waiver moves like other non-dynasty auction league :wink:

Thanks.

In a competitive league with daily lineups, you’re going to have to be very active/attentive to hit 162 games across all positions. People who only check in once per day (or less) tend not to hit the game caps and it’s very hard to win 5x5 if you’re not hitting 162. There is an auto-bench function, but not an auto-replace. Once you get behind pace to hit 162 at a position, it’s difficult to catch up (except for C), so you really need to put in max effort from the beginning of the season.

I typically review and set my lineups the night before, but then check in at least twice during the day (at least once before afternoon games start and once before night games start). Some people set up elaborate sets of phone alerts to be sure to replace someone who is benched at the least minute. It’s quite a commitment if you’re determined to finish in the money.

2 Likes

The flip side is that in order to add a player they must go up to a 48-hour auction, and after a player is cut there is 24 hours to claim them, so adding players to your team does not require the same kind of attentiveness of a non-Ottoneu league.

I personally think it is possible to compete in a categories league without being extremely attentive to lineups, but if 11 other people in your league happen to be “check my Ottoneu lineup 5 times a day” kind of people it will be a challenge. It is rare to find a league that has 11 people like that, but not unheard of.

4 Likes

Thanks for your rapid response. Indeed, if they are really up to date on every line up move (5x a day lol) in case if the player plays within a second, maybe thats the only advantage in roto or points.

Hi,

So i guess weekly would take the load off to look it up daily, lines would be set in stone, everyone treated equal, but the hazard of players missing playing time will be omnipresent.

2 Likes

That may as well be Ottoneu’s slogan:

Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball: It’s quite a commitment.

2 Likes

I’ll lightly push back on this: I think fantasy baseball is a big time commitment and I think there are a few ways (48 hour auctions, longer timelines) that Ottoneu eases the time commitment from a non-Ottoneu league.

I just think the nature of Ottoneu results in a certain kind of person being attracted to it, and that person would spend a lot of time on any fantasy baseball game they play.

This of course is a benefit of Ottoneu leagues - the competition is better and less likely to check out. But I certainly don’t think missing five days in the summer to go camping would preclude someone from finishing top 3 in their 5x5 league.

3 Likes

Well said, maybe more 2 days a week and 1 week hunting :wink:

1 Like

Like most endeavors in life, I’d say there are three factors when it comes to success in Ottoneu:

• Effort (E)
  • Luck (L)
  • Skill (K)

If you wanted to go full econ nerd (which if you’re on this site, you possibly have a predisposition to), you could call these “factors of production” and assign them some sort of production function where they function as partial complement. Say the relationship is something along the lines of a Cobb-Douglas, to keep it relatively simple/straightforward:

Y=E^a x L^b x K^c where a+b+c=1 (i.e., constant returns to scale)

There are some important properties to observe with such a function, perhaps the most important of which is that marginal benefit of effort is a function of skill (i.e., dY/dE include K). That is, a more skilled player will realize a greater return on their investment of time than a less skilled player. Another implication is that the great your Effort and/or Skill, the less important Luck because of the constant returns to scale assumption.

The corrolary is that the luckier (or more skilled) you are, Effort becomes relatively less important. Me, Ineed all the help I can get ( :slight_smile: ), so I’ve found that I need to put in max effort to be successful. But if you’re sufficiently skilled (and/or lucky), then perhaps you can get away with less Effort.

That being said, if you were to survey the league leaders in any Ottoneu format, I’m virtually certain you’d observe a positive relationship between hitting 162 game caps and SGP, especially in the more competitive leagues. And it’s very hard to hit those game caps without being hyper-vigilant. So there’s some level of minimal Effort required, albeit possibly less than the intensity I (try to) play with.

That’s not to scare someone who can’t commit to an insane level of devotion from trying Ottoneu. And I’m not sure that the level of effort that I’m describing is any different than a more conventional fantasy baseball league where you’re staying up to 2am each night in order to grab the best streamers available. But this is certainly a game that rewards continuous effort and persistence.

I’ll finish with a plug for Ottonue Basketball. I realize this seems like a non-sequitur, but in terms of effort needed to maintain lineups, it’s far less intense than Ottoneu Baseball. Football is sort of boring on this front, but Basketball is a good balance. So if you want the Ottoneu experience in an easier-to-digest form, try out a Basketball league next fall. I literally knew next-to-nothing about current basketball players two years ago and have had a blast for nearly two seasons and even a little bit of success.

1 Like

thanks a lot for the explanation, ill for sure try basketball next season. Maybe ill stick to h2h points for baseball :wink:

1 Like