Incorrect Penalty-Free Cuts

Has anyone else had an issue where occasionally post-auction cuts have been penalty free? No one in our league has the designation checked, but since our auction I have seen two different owners have a couple of cuts penalty free (but not all of the transactions for one of the owners). Not really sure what the deal is and I can manually fix these few, but curious if anyone has run into this issue or has a more permanent fix.

If you can give very specific examples, I can look into it. I’ve had some sporadic reports of this and it usually turns out that the team in question did have penalty-free cuts and by using them no longer showed up as having P-F cuts in the Current Managers area of Commish Tools.

We noticed this in league 772 with Zac Veen –

Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball - team - World Series of Tubes - Say-Hey Kid should have a $1 cap penalty for Veen

I believe Veen was manually added by the commissioner after our draft (we use CouchManagers). IIRC the roster import threw an error about him. Hope that helps track down the underlying issue.

1 Like

I can confirm in this case that the team that cut Zac Veen had a round of penalty-free cuts.

My theory is that some of these teams get penalty-free cuts during the offseason and never use them. So they unexpectedly get a free round of cuts in-season.

Why this has started happening in 2024 is a real puzzler, and I’m continuing to investigate.

Just to follow up on “Say-Hey Kid” - this team didn’t renew on time and then was renewed by the same user 5 days later. The system is not supposed to give penalty-free cuts in the situation where the manager who had the team previously picked the team back up. This obviously is not working, and I imagine it is a big reason why a number of teams this year have unexpected penalty-free cuts.

2 Likes

Thanks as always!

Is there anything we need to do to have Veen’s cap penalty appear correctly for this team? Or is that something you can help correct?

1 Like

Add player back to team and cut player using commissioner tools. That is what other people reporting this issue to me (in Slack) did.

2 Likes

Thanks, Niv. From what I recall of my league (#317), that makes sense that it was the late renewers that got the P-F cuts. I think those were the two owners who were late. Like you said, I just went ahead and fixed those cuts manually and haven’t seen the issue since.

2 Likes