Jordan Lawlar on MILB 60IL

Hey Niv, currently Jordan Lawlar is listed as on the MILB 60-Day IL, but if I’m not mistaken he actually is on the Dbacks 40 man roster. Shouldn’t he be on the regular 60-day? Is there something I’m missing? Thanks.

2 Likes

Yep, you’re right. I have updated how we figure out MILB 60IL vs MLB 60IL.

1 Like

What I just tried to do didn’t work. I’ll have to think about this one longer.

1 Like

Alright, I looked into this and talked it over with some people and it turns out Jordan Lawlar is still on the Diamondbacks 40-man roster, because the minor league team put him on the 60-day IL, not the major league team. As such, he doesn’t get removed from the Diamondbacks 40-man.

As such, he is being treated correctly by Ottoneu’s system. Not really what I expected, but here we are.

Thanks to @chy924 for helping me sort this out.

2 Likes

Wow, interesting! I guess until the Dbacks need to add anyone else to their 40-man they’ll just keep it this way. Also would they have to pay Lawlar a major league salary if he were on the MLB 60-day? Probably why they haven’t done it yet. Unfortunate for me, but probably a smart move by their front office.

Appreciate you looking into this and thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

I actually think they got a little screwed here:

1. They sent Lawlar down to get regular ABs
  2. He got this stupid injury almost immediately
  3. I am not sure if you are even allowed to call up an injured player, but if they had chosen to do that, they’d have to make a corresponding demotion (which sort of indicates to me you aren’t allowed to). The Diamondbacks had to put him on the minor league IL since he was in AAA, and the 60 made the most sense so they could sign another minor leaguer - you can read the mechanics of the minor league roster here: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/minor-league-transactions-march-1-20-2024/

So, a bit unlucky but had to deal with it.

1 Like