League Polls

Any chance that you can add a spot on the league page where we would be able to create a topic to be voted on. Also so it would count the votes to. I know ESPN has an option like this.

1 Like

Adding polling is an interesting idea, but kind of a large lift in development for a specific use. If others are interested, please let me know! In the meantime, there are a few options:

1. You can set up a group message with your league on Discourse, and we have installed a polling extension for Discourse so you can poll that way.
  2. You can do some informal polls on Slack, much in the way people grade trades there.
  3. You can use a 3rd party site and link to it, since league message board posts support basic HTML.

These are just some ideas, hopefully that can help out anyone who is trying to do a league poll.

3 Likes

To echo number three from Niv’s list, I used to embed poll questions in the message board using google forms back in 2012 or so. For some reason I thought the site started stripping out some HTML characters so I stopped, but that might have been user error on my part.

In Champs, a few of us used to embed our 5MiLB rosters in our trade notes this way as well.

Thanks to Niv for being flexible and not trying to strip out “special characters” from every text field, like a lot of other fantasy sites.

The message board supporting HTML is a relatively recent change so maybe try that again.

1 Like

Ah, that explains it! And of course that link is all about 5MiLB as well, heh.

1 Like

My league has a dedicated Slack set up and it has really driven great league communication and an easy way to do polling.

4 Likes

I think it would be cool to be able to add polls that only my league mates could contribute to, mostly for setting draft date. Could be via the Community Forum here… or via the message board in the league, but I imagine the latter is much more work on your end. Just thought it would be a cool feature to have a place in house where my league could work out our draft date instead of having to tell Doodle that no, I do not want to purchase their premium service for this one off usage.

1 Like

Forums should have what you need, but bumping this thread.

Thanks, apologies for not seeing this thread and making you merge the request

Oh no worries.

It has been awhile since I’ve been in here, but I noticed we can vote on stuff on the wishlist now; but I don’t remember doing that i that in the past (other than thumbs uping). So I’m bumping this to hope for actual votes now that there is a system for it.

These forums is totally different software than Ottoneu. We use Discourse for these forums FWIW.

My recommendation from earlier in the thread remains for polling your league. It is unlikely polling will be added to Ottoneu natively any time soon.

Would be handy to have one of those thumbs up/down votes on League Message Board posts. In my league we sometimes have extensive debates on rules or general activity (not so much on trades) and it would be handy to see if some arguments/posts resonate more or less with the 12 teams. Could also be used for polls, e.g.

“Does anyone believe that My Team Sucks actually does not suck and is the odds on favorite to win this year?” Yes/No

Per this thread, I think the right answer is to: use private messages in the forums!