Make it easier to compare players when doing arbitration

I would be interested in some different options in assigning arbitration. For example, could the player search be used for the arbitration interface?

The current arbitration interface does show watchlisted players. But that player list lacks the full set of Player Search columns and filters that would make player to player comparisons easier.

So really this request falls into three parts:

1. Could the list of players on the Arbitration page be filterable the way the Player Search is?
  2. Could the list of players on the Arbitration page have a “detail” view option that has all the stats, price, and ownership percentage info as on the Player Search?
  3. Could players be arbed from that player list – that is, provide an input field for every player that accepts $0, $1, $2, or $3 and a “save” button for the whole table.

It’s more useful to share what the problem is you’re running into (i.e. “I do not have enough player information on the arbitration page to make a good decision on how to use my money”) than proposing a solution. If you are having a problem that is shared by many other users, I can think about how to solve for it. Suggesting an alternate interface without saying why is just someone asking me to do custom development work, which isn’t particularly interesting to me.

In terms of information people need to make arbitration decisions, that is pretty wide-ranging and can vary heavily from person to person, and I am hesitant to suggest that certain numbers are more relevant to an arbitration decision than other numbers.

Good point.

The obstacle I have is that I’d like to approach arbitration by player rather than by team.

Thus I’d like to have player data and player filtering in arbitration context.

Then, to dramatically reduce the number of clicks, I’d like to arb very player in one submit, especially since I can edit later.

1 Like

Let’s combine the two wishlist requests you have into one, bc its the same underlying problem.

1 Like

Since we have an option for FREE AGENTS ONLY in the Player Search, I think it would be good to add an option to only see ROSTERED PLAYERS ONLY – and also allow that search to go across ALL positions, since the search set is constrained.

Secondarily, it would be cool to view a combined Pitcher / Hitter results list. They have same number of columns. This could work by having a combined heading and/or some formatting internal to the table.

As an idea, consider that in a heading like AB GS, the bold or big heading is the “active” (with hitters default). Then, if the user clicks the alternate – AB GS – the sort is on the pitching stat and hitting stats are labeled internal to the table.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 3.43.24 PM

Instead of giving a possible solution, could you explain why this would be interesting to look at?

Separately, this is also already available via either downloading the roster CSV and also on the FG Fantasy Leaderboards.

I have considered the download option.

I think the basic ask is that during arbitration it would be useful to see all the other rostered players in one table, complete with the columns that are Ottoneu specific (Roster %, Avg $, Med $). When considering player value, separating the position players from the pitchers makes it very hard to jump back and forth.

The Search is great for finding free agents. But I’d like to use it in arbitration more effectively.

Ok, so to summarize: while arbitration does have team-based requirements, it’d be helpful to allow comparison across all rostered players, since deciding who should get $3 vs $2 vs $1 can be decided by either considering the team rostering the player or considering the player within the overall list of rostered players.

Is this a fair summary of the underlying problem?

2 Likes

Good summary. Added to that idea that a player search table that merges pitchers and hitters would be better for comparing value than a player search table that separates them.

1 Like

Ok, let me think on this.

This might be my fandango only, I don’t know. I always find arbitration to be too much clicking back and forth.