Missing MLB Player IDs

I noticed that a number of players don’t have MLB Player IDs in the system, though most do have MLB IDs in general. Can they be added for these players (where they exist) please? This is most easily seen when doing the CSV export of Avg Salaries.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
Eloy Jimenez
Brendan Rodgers
Nick Senzel
Bo Bichette
Forrest Whitley
Taylor Trammell
Dylan Cease
Wander Samuel Franco
Royce Lewis
Casey Mize
Josh Naylor
Austin Riley
Nathaniel Lowe
Brent Rooker
Anderson Espinoza
Corey Ray
Brent Honeywell
Sixto Sanchez
Mitch Keller
Keston Hiura
Jordon Adell
Luis Robert
Jorge Mateo
Shedric Long
Hunter Greene
Cristian Pache
Triston Mckenzie
Fernando Tatis Jr.
Vidal Brujan
Gavin Lux
Josh Fuentes
Taylor Widener
Chris Paddack
A.J. Puk
Alex Kirilloff
Will Smith
Nico Hoerner
Tim Tebow
Carter Kieboom
Khalil Lee
Alec Hansen
MacKenzie Gore
Brendan McKay
Jesus Luzardo
Peter Alonso

Minor leaguers do not receive a FanGraphs Major League player ID until they are promoted/appear in MLB. What are you trying to do that you need these IDs for?

I have a player value spreadsheet where I import data including this info for reference. I’d rather use major league ID as the unique cross-reference rather than falling back to MiLB ID if major league ID not found. Other data sources have it for these players.

Let’s be clear about what IDs you are asking for - are you looking for MLBAM IDs? Or FanGraphs player IDs? Could you give me an example of Vlad Guerrero Jr.'s major league ID?

My bad. I think I am confusing the various IDs. 19611 is the ID that I have for VGJr. Perhaps it is not an official ID.

19611 is the FanGraphs ID for Vlad Jr. right now, but it is a temporary ID. It isn’t all ‘linked up’ (for lack of a better term) until the player actually plays in the majors, and could change. How did you pull that ID, where is it exposed?

My suggestion is for these players who haven’t had a cup of coffee yet is that you use their Minor League IDs for your cross-references. If you have a technical concern about using that minor league ID, definitely let me know!

It’s the ID that Bill James uses for those players.

I will drink some coffee and soup-up my spreadsheet to factor in multiple IDs.

Thanks.

1 Like

Related, is there a way to download all Ottoneu players position eligibility? The closest I can get is the Average Salaries export but it doesn’t include any players who have an average salary less than $1 (or something like that). Alternatively I can do some rudimentary searches but won’t have a player ID if I copy/paste from an HTML table.

I don’t have this data publicly available yet, but I am working on it.

2 Likes