Ottoneu Lockdown League Thread, February 11, 2020

We are simming to the 17th tonight. Get me your exports by 8pm ET. Based on poking around it seems that everyone is still in and interested in participating, so we will not be replacing anyone in the near-term.

1 Like

Should we sim to the 18th instead so that we can sim directly to spring training (2/26) next time? (Iā€™m assuming 8-day sims are ok but 9-day ones are not, given the waiver period. If thatā€™s wrong then nevermind.)

1 Like

I think we need 7 day or less sims in order to be able to make an action while a player is still on waivers, but time is an elusive concept to me.

I think eventually we might want to move even faster since it will still take 100 days to get through a single year at our current pace. I wonder if there are other waiver options possible.

Yeah I definitely agree. Just, not sure if we should be simming more often or going longer than a week at a time.

Once the season starts, simming more than a week feels tough because of injuries, plus the game lets you set lineups a week out, so it just feels natural. Once we all get the hang of it though, seems like offseasons can go a lot faster at least?

1 Like

Yeah I will say this off-season went particularly slow because we were getting a feel for it. In the off-season in the future Iā€™ll worry less about making sure everyone gets an export in and will probably sim a week every day after we get through the major FA signings. Every other day for whatever is out there right now does not make sense.

2 Likes

Simming every day in season with one week segments also seems reasonable. Just like Ottoneu, you set your lineups daily.

Missing an export in-season is a lot more punitive, so we will see how it goes. Also a lot of people donā€™t actually set their lineups daily in Ottoneu.

Those owners really should if they want to win! (Good point though)

2 Likes

We could consider daily sims for the rest of the offseason and through spring training? Seems like people are starting to get antsy.

Sure, might as well try it and see if it gets away from anyone.

3 Likes

That seems fine - and I will say that keeping the export time in the evening is helpful. Not sure why, but Iā€™ve liked it a lot better since we switched to 8pm

1 Like

I made the weekend ones 2pm but yeah Iā€™ll just stick to 8pm ET for all exports.

4 Likes

Just as a heads up, I think that you canā€™t invite anyone to spring training until 2/26, in which case we wonā€™t be able to sim through the beginning of spring training. Weā€™d need to sim to 2/26 exactly and then have everyone set spring training rosters. We might need to give people two days for that because itā€™s a crucial way to give minor leaguers some experience.

2 Likes

I wonder of something like a daily sim of three or four days at a time to allow for more control over bullpen and starting rotation.

Suppose in the first game of the week, you have a starter get injured in the first inning and removed. Your bullpen is now taxed, and you are potentially in a crisis for the rest of the week, unless you, say, call up a spot starter and cycle through one or a pair of RP. Now suppose itā€™s the fifth day, and it turns out the pitcher was removed for a strained UCL and is cooked.

This type of hypothetical is mostly protected against if we reduce to a three day sim.

The standard sim period for OOTP leagues, both online and not, is 1 week. I think we should stick with that. I think doubling the number of real days weā€™ll need to sim a season because someone may get a UCL tear sometime is not a valuable trade off.

2 Likes

Granted on both fronts.

That said, my hypothetical doesnā€™t have to run to the nth extreme of a torn UCL. Even a day to day injury that ends a start prematurely can lead to a total bullpen overload that doesnā€™t get a chance to be addressed until the following sim.

If we are simming daily, versus every-other day, a 3-day or 4-day sim period on its face does not seem intolerably slow. That said, doing 4 days at a time, it would take us three months of simming daily to through a calendar year, assuming we followed 4 days at a time through the offseason, too.

Going 7-days per sim gives a week per day which is 52-days if we stay on track, which is nearly* eight real-life weeks per simmed calendar year.

1 Like

Why donā€™t we sim one week at a time and see if this is actually a problem? A calendar year every 50-60 days is far preferable to a calendar year every 100-110 days.

Since most everything about OOTP online leagues indicate leagues sim at at least 1 week at a time, I imagine these hypothetical scenarios arenā€™t actually a major issue in-game.

3 Likes

If you are concerned about injuries mid-sim ruining specifically your team, you can assign Active Roster Moves to your AGM under Managerā€™s Office -> Manager Options.

2 Likes