Ottoneu Surplus Calculator 2020

By the way, this is fixed now. Something worked. Thanks!

I made a backend change removing multiple spaces in a row from team names. I deployed it about 30 seconds ago, impressed at how fast you noticed!

2 Likes

Ha. Lucky timing on my part.

Thanks, Justin – this is awesome!

When I go to the TeamRoster tab and attempt to sort players by a column besides salary (say, InflSurplus), the entire roster goes blank. I feel like this was doable in the old calculator – am I mixing that up or is there a workaround on this?

1 Like

Are you using the Sort By dropdown selection on Cell G1 of the TeamRoster tab? You have to use that, you can’t sort that page using Sheets sorting manually.

1 Like

That’ll do it. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I’m a little stuck on what kind of a keeper inflation rate to use for my league. Is it very league dependent? Are there reasonable standards you guys use? Any advice would be welcome.

2 Likes

In my experience actual keeper inflation ends up about 15-20% lower than the Surplus Calc shows by default. So if you enter your league # and the inflation at the bottom in yellow shows as 40%, I’d use 20% as my keeper inflation adjustment.

Thank you!!!

1 Like

thanks so much for this and all your hard work!

2 Likes

Justin: Can you potentially add in the inflation columns to be sortable on the TeamRoster page? I’m in a league where inflation is REALLY high and I’d love to sort by those values as well.

So you want to be able to sort by inflation adjusted $ value on the Team Roster tab? If you sort by “Value” it accomplishes the same thing.

Justin – This is an amazing tool as always. Thank you! I have a question about how the values are calculated and how multi-positional eligibility is taken into account. I was looking at the projected value of JD Davis for $5 vs. Ryan McMahon for $10 and wondered why such the discrepancy. McMahon has slightly higher projections from Depth Charts and Steamer, but they are very, very similar and it’s hard to figure how McMahon has twice the value. Is the answer likely to be that McMahon gets a bonus for 1B / 2B / 3B eligibility (vs 1B / OF for Davis)? I think I’ve learned over the years that these projections take into account positional scarcity, but I guess I don’t know how that applies to multi-position players. Thanks for any thoughts!

2 Likes

All multi-position eligible players are valued at their scarcest/most valuable position. Those positions on my sheet from most to least valuable are C/SS/2B/OF/3B/1B. So to answer your question, McMahon is probably worth a $1 or $2 more than Davis based on having slightly higher projections, and another $3 or so because 2B is more valuable than OF.

1 Like

I’m interested in understanding how the player values are calculated generally. Is this something you could share?

Thanks for putting this together year after year.

2 Likes

how do you find your league #? I’ve looked everywhere

It’s in the url

thank you

Thank you for making available. I downloaded the workbook to my desktop and input my league number (118) and the workbook did not repopulate with my league data. Can anyone provide a suggestion as to what I am doing wrong?

Instead of downloading to desktop, trying to copying a version to your own Google Drive so that it can update live

1 Like