Ottoneu Surplus Calculator 2020

Thanks. That fixed it.

As in past years, a small percentage of players (prospects for sure, but not only) come up with valuations of $0 but that doesn’t seem right–Nimmo, Yaz, could find others–correct or a glitch? A very excellent resource, thanks!

Nimmo and Yastrzemski correctly show as $0 for FGPts, based on their Steamer projections

This is a tremendous tool. Thank you so much for sharing though not sure I like what it portends for my 2020 season.

Having an issue with the Team Roster tab. I can drop down a team name (league 871) but it does not populate. Any idea about what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Not really. Sometimes Google Sheets can be a bit slow to load certain sections of the SC, so my only advice would be to try again later.

And you are right! Just reloaded and it worked perfectly. Thanks again!

League 847, Team Totals Tab is off for almost every team in every column.
Fantastic tool, thanks. Very helpful in evaluating trades w/o having to jump around the portal.

I find this tool incredibly useful, and appreciate all the work that goes into it. I’m curious how to best utilize the Inflation Assumption value. Should this be in any way reflective of the Inflation % listed below in the league summary? For one of my leagues this is listed as 52%, but that obviously seems high as an inflation assumption for keeper determinations.

See this post from earlier in the thread: Ottoneu Surplus Calculator 2020

1 Like

If you are using the surplus calculator on Google sheets will values adjust automatically as you update the Steamer projections?

Great work as always @vibbot, thank you for sharing this with the community!

I have noticed that the default values loaded into the SC can be widely different from those generated through the Auction Calculator using similar settings (FG Pts scoring, with position priority: C/SS/2B/OF/3B/1B and using Depth Chart projections) and was hoping you might be able to clarify how some these discrepancies are arising?

For example, Anthony Rizzo is listed in the SC at a value of $32.7, but using the Auction Calculator with Depth Chart projections he is listed at $42.0. Additionally, some younger players seem to have pretty big differences between the SC and the Auction Calculator values. Mitch Keller has a SC value of $12.4, but using the Auction Calculator he as a value of -$2.10.Griffin Canning is listed in the SC at a value of $9.4, but again the Auction Calculator with Depth Chart projections gives him a value of -$14.90.

Thank you in advance for any clarification you are able to provide with this issue!

2 Likes

There are a number of reasons why different systems come up with different values. If I had to guess, the biggest difference between the two is the AC sets replacement level higher, so that all bench players are worth no more than $1, resulting in a more “stars and scrubs” style of valuations with expensive players and cheap players and very little in between. Whereas the SC sets replacement level lower, increasing the value of bench players, decreasing the value of expensive players and therefore lends itself to owners whose style is more dependent on depth.

1 Like

FYI I just pushed an update to the $ values for all four formats (as a reminder, you don’t need to do anything with your copy of the SC to get this update, it links automatically).

You have Zach Britton’s name spelled wrong (Zack).

I don’t input any player names manually, they are pulled from either Fangraphs or Ottoneu.

Thanks Niv!

Looks like he changed his name. Thanks.

1 Like

The SC $ values have been updated for all four formats. They are using the latest Depth Charts projections, which as of this morning now incorporate ZiPS. As always, you don’t need to download a new copy of the SC to get updated $ values, they will already be live on your copy of the SC.

This will be the final $ value update of 2020 for the public version of the SC.

I know this thread is dead. I’m just wondering if there is a rough ETA on the surplus calculator for this year. That we all love and need and get for FREE. So I’m not trying to be pushy. I know it’s not usually until January or whatever. Just trying to make a few close calls on some guys as far as whether I should be trading/cutting or keeping, now that arb is over. Thanks Justin for always making it for all of us.

9 Likes