Players from Reds-Tigers game will be unlocked 8/1

Since the Reds-Tigers was postponed due to rain, the players locked at their normal start time and the game was removed after the fact due to being postponed. In the very near future I’d like to not lock players in games that are in a delayed state, but I am not 100% confident in that data right now. Hoping to solidify later today or tomorrow.

In the meantime I will unlock all players locked today due to that Tigers-Reds game.

4 Likes

If someone sees a game that is on MLB.com as in a delay, please let me know so I can see if our data reflects the delay in a way that is usable.

Thanks for monitoring, reacting to, and communicating this Niv.

I had a player from this game in my starting lineup. I didn’t notice the PPD until after the scheduled game time. The player showed as locked in my lineup. I was thinking about posting something here to ask if you could/would apply the auto-eject function to players in PPD games, but before I did that I saw that the player had unlocked. Didn’t realize until reading this post that you had done that manually.

I think leaving these players unlocked is fair and I appreciate you being flexible and proactive about keeping things fair in this tumultuous season. Stinks that you had to do it manually, so I guess now I’ll make the ask: will you please integrate postponements into the auto-eject feature? It seems clear that we’re going to have far more postponements than normal this year, and hitting game caps is harder than ever, so the value of this feature is at its peak right now. But it will also be helpful post-pandemic.

1 Like

It’s worth being clear that this was a one-off manual thing because I happened to be around. Without knowing exactly how our new schedule feed (integrated a few days ago in response to COVID-19 postponements) handles rain delays, it’s impossible to know if this can be a permanent part of the site.

Once we do secure weather data, it would not be related to auto-bench. The site would not lock players in a rain delay or in a postponed game (it currently does the latter and has no knowledge of the former). So, this would be like having a player in your lineup who has no game - you could sub them out at any time. Auto-bench would be overkill in this case since the slot would not be locked.

Gotcha.

Not sure if you still want this info, but as of now (1:28 p.m. ET), MLB.com shows today’s CIN@DET game as delayed.

1 Like

Yep I saw this. Our data feed isn’t quite on point for delays but I have some ideas on how to utilize our newfound understanding of postponed games to make rainouts less punitive.

2 Likes