Pyramid-style Tiered Leagues

I’m really keen on an Ottoneu league with Promotion/Relegation, and I’ve been contemplating a league for some time, but I have the same feelings as @Dahdscear.

My thought was to instead have a larger league (probably 16 teams) and split the league into two divisions. Bottom two from the top division are relegated and top two from the bottom division are promoted. This way there is one player pool, teams that get promoted keep their team, those relegated keep their team, forcing everyone to continually play out the season.

My struggle was to keep the league fair, whilst also creating a system by which teams were actively trying to get into the top division. I felt if everyone paid an amount for prizes, but only teams from the top division could win, then its not really attractive for people to hang around if they are stuck in the lower division. I came up very quickly with something along the lines of the image below (literally a couple of seconds, so nothing concrete), but I’d love to see what other people thought. I had a second idea which was much crazier, but might hold on to that for the second.

Obviously just a starting point, and if something were to take off, a lot more league rules would have to be fleshed out (e.g. how do you place teams into the set divisions in the first year, or do you wait a year and base of those rankings) and debated in order to create a league where people are committed year in year out.

2 Likes