Question about Six Pick Scoring for Pitchers

Really enjoying Ottoneu Six Picks! Just a quick question about scoring for pitchers…

Accoring to this page, neither SP or RP are penalized for hits allowed in Ottoneu Six Picks. However, I’m finding deviations from expected totals from my pitchers that leave me wondering whether there might be a penalty for hits allowed?

For example, today Devin Williams (RP, MIL) went 1 IP, 1 K with a save (5+5+2=12 points, per the linked to points schedule). However, I’m only receiving 9.2 points for him. Is that because he gave up 2 hits (i.e., -1.4 per hit)?

Another example was Javier (SP, HOU) yesterday. He went 5 IP, 1 BB, 6 K, 0 HR, 0 HBP. Assuming my math is correct, that’s 2.5x5+6-1.5=17 points. However, I was only awarded 12.6 points. Was that because he gave up 8 hits (i.e., -0.55 per hit)?

However, I’m finding that the tabulation isn’t what I expected from my SP on 03/31/23, Corbin Burnes (SP, MIL). I got 10.3 points for his outing. He went 5 IP, 3 K, 3 BB, 1 HBP, 0 HR (plus 4 H): 2.5x5+3-1.5x3-1.5=9.5… so maybe my hypothesis about there being an unadvertised penalty for hits allowed isn’t the case? Idk. I guess my point is that I’m calculating totals that seem to be different than the points schedule I linked to.

Thanks in advance for whatever the explanation is.

Well you play a lot of FG points so you should notice that the points per inning on the Six Picks rule page does not align with FG points for an inning pitched, which is 7.4. If you looked at, for example, Cristian Javier in any FG points league, you’ll see he was good for 25.2 points yesterday. Half of that is 12.6. This includes -1.3 for a hit allowed, which the Six Picks rule page doesn’t have listed at all.

Back in 2011 when this rules page was probably written, FG points were actually the SABR scoring system- we introduced the current FG points system later. The SABR system doesn’t have a point deduction for hits allowed.

Revamped Six Picks uses the current FanGraphs points scoring system. I’ll update that rules page at some point. But you can just use FanGraphs points calculations that you do elsewhere and then divide SP points by 2.

1 Like

This may be as close to a fun fact about Ottoneu scoring that one can have.

1 Like

Okay, that explains the discreptancies. Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

I’ve updated the rules page to display the correct points schedule.

1 Like