Team Settings Info & Slack / Email

The Bio field is available for users to write free-form text entry about themselves, so that seems like a natural solution.

Since user profile pages can be seen by anyone, it really should be up to the individual on if they want to share specific details. Having a dedicated field for real name or Slack handle puts an undue pressure on actually sharing those things or joining Slack, none of which really matters in terms of playing in a league.

If anything, this is an argument to remove the Twitter integration, since that’s not a presence that is relevant to playing Ottoneu either.

Teams in leagues can message each other privately and I think that’s probably the best path forward in building relationships. There also might be an argument to making league message boards private, so users who aren’t in that league cannot read the message board. That might allow people in leagues together to speak more candidly. I’m interested in if anyone would find that valuable.

As a reminder, Ottoneu respects the “Display name” setting in your FanGraphs profile. If users really, really want everyone to see their real name, they can update their display name accordingly.

So I guess there are three ways to share your real name: update your FanGraphs display name, update your Bio, or message people you play with. The last option of the three seems like the best if you actually want to build relationships with the other people you’re playing with.