Trade View Count

I often find myself wondering, “has this person seen my trade offer?”

This usually leads me to send them a message after a little bit of time asking if they’ve seen the offer and if they have any feedback.

But today I was just thinking how it could be really useful to see a view count for the offer. What I’m envisioning is that I look at the offer I sent and I can see how many times my potential trading partner has viewed the trade.

This would potentially benefit in a couple of ways:

1. I’d get confirmation that they’ve seen the offer or have seen it a few times showing that they’re considering it.
  2. If I see they’re looking at it multiple times it would give me more context in messaging, “hey, I know you’re thinking things over, want to chat further here?”
  3. It gives me more reasons to come back and check-in. “Oh, I wonder if they saw my offer, let me go check”
  4. In some leagues where a manager isn’t viewing trades and they’re new, it gives me a reason to reach out more or maybe even ping the commish to let them know there could be a need for help for the new league mate.

This is a cool idea. I am really into it.

4 Likes

This would be a significant QoL update for me as a person who likes to Johnny Appleseed trades offers all over. I don’t like to let hang trades hang indefinitely so knowing whether they’ve seen it yet would help immensely.

1 Like

Just looking at this more completely, I don’t really think it’s much of a QoL improvement because it doesn’t actually contain the information you’re looking for. When I get a trade offer, it shows up in my email and the full offer is there, including loans and comments. For the messaging stuff, the same is true, but the read/unread at least tells you if the other manager is still seeing a notification on Ottoneu reminding them that the message exists. But that notification exists for all open trades, regardless of whether they have been viewed before.

So, basically, I’m not sure read/unread gives you any info here. If it’s marked read, you know they are just saw it. If it’s marked unread, you don’t really know anything.

2 Likes

This is honestly behavior I’d like to discourage. I think it is better to start a conversation about trades rather than just airdrop in trade offers, it creates a better discourse and healthier leagues.

2 Likes

It’s definitely not a silver bullet, more of an enhancement for fuller picture of engagement with the other manager.

I agree that the message read/unread indicator is helpful when checking in and I think the view count could add additional context to fuel conversation.

Yeah I’m turning around on this one. I think if you are wondering if someone saw your trade, you should message them. It’s gonna be hard to know for sure if the trade was seen because people can see the full trade in emails, and if you have questions for someone you’re trying to trade with, talking to them is the best way to answer those questions.

I’m also not sure how this is meaningful metric in trying to gauge ‘interest’ or ‘on the fence-ness’. A direct conversation is just a better answer to solving the “did you see my trade” question.

2 Likes

FWIW I missed before that the ask was a COUNT. Read/unread feels not that useful but fine and I’m not against it. Count I’m very much against. Honestly it feels like an invasion and it would cause me to change behavior - I simply would never view a trade on Ottoneu, I would just use the email, until I’m ready to reject or accept. If I thought someone was responding/reacting to the number of times I viewed a trade that would be a signal that they’re overly eager and would make me think that THEY think it’s a lopsided deal in their favor. Yeah not a fan of this.

1 Like

Honestly when I thought about count vs view I had the same reservation at first but went with count as an idea to start.

I definitely wouldn’t want to see something get added that caused us to no longer look at trades in the app or change behavior.

1 Like

My understanding of the underlying sentiment here is:

I sent a trade offer semi-blind, and I’d like to know if there’s something of interest here or if I’m being ignored

To that end, I’ve made some changes. First, when you propose a trade, you’ll be redirected directly to the trade proposal page. For trades that have not been accepted, you will now see the same “Last Visit” information that can be found on the Rosters page. This will give you an idea on if someone has logged in since you sent your trade, which is I believe a decent indicator of a trade being seen one way or another.

Since I keep asking y’all to do it, I have added little message buttons that make it easy to start a conversation about a trade. This will show up in both proposed trades and also accepted trades, making it easy to message one or both of the teams involved when a big trade goes down.

5 Likes

Niv, I’m with you that owners should engage in messaging more. I hate blind trades becuase it’s too easy to offend or overpay without any sense of what the other team might be looking for. However, fact of the matter is, lots of owners are poor communicators and operate on sending and wanting blind trades. Dealing with these owners is a challenge for the whole league. I cannot count the times I’ve messaged owners expressing interest in a player or two and to ask what names of mine they may like and gotten some form of “send me an offer” replies.

That said, I do believe it would be nice to know if an owner has “read” a trade, just like the messaging. I don’t see value in a count, but read/unread would help me know when an owner is simply being unresponsive or hasn’t really engaged with my offer yet. Some owners I’ve noticed will leave messages unread, despite having daily activity otherwise. It may notify them via email when a trade is sent, but I don’t assume that means they’ve really engaged with my offer.

2 Likes