Trading Voted-Off Players

Hey, Niv and all others. Our group recently ran into an interesting question of why can we not trade voted off players prior to auction draft and if we wanted to, how could we do it? Initially wanted to reach out to Niv and hear his perspective on this as well as inquire whether this is something that can be programmed for future seasons.

The voted off player’s $5 discount is meant to recreate the notion of a hometown discount. Trading those discounts around undermines this notion - why would a player you didn’t ‘develop’ or bring up give you a $5 discount in salary?

Beyond that, arbitration is significantly more popular than vote-off, so no one has really asked about this kind of feature in the last 6 or 7 years. I would not be very interested in implementing it, for the reasons I outlined above.

You of course are more than welcome to trade any player after you sign them in auction. Why would a team develop a player, sign them at a discount, and then trade them? I also don’t know, but you can do that if you want!

Adding on to this, I have some very old, very long emails with the original league 1 group that resulted in us concluding that trading ‘coupons’ for players would break rule VIII. g.

Teams may not trade salary cap dollars between seasons.

We had some wild philosophical conversations about this in the late 2000s. Well, borderline philosophical.

1 Like

Were the words, “moral hazard” invoked? :sweat_smile: