Ability to 'pass' on bidding on the current player in the auction draft

This going to be added??? Really speeds up the end of drafts. Not sure I can find or ever heard a reason to be against it.

Passing on a nomination when you have as many dollars as roster spots is a competitive advantage, so this will not be added. If you do not want to nominate a player you are free to mark yourself as done with the draft.

1 Like

Even earlier in the draft, skipping your nomination can be a big advantage - if you had the option to not nominate the strategy would be to basically never nominate. I know in the leagues I run, I do not let people skip - I pause the auction and make them make a nomination, or mark them as done so they can no longer bid (though, I have never actually had to mark someone done - they either choose to be done or nominate).

Not at all the right concept Iā€™m speaking of. This is about the only thing ESPN ever nailed. Pass function is NOT for skipping your non turn. I agree. Thatā€™s bush league. Itā€™s for PASSING on a player that is nominated that you donā€™t want. Itā€™s works like a charm and speeds up drafts. It really speeds up the end game. If I nominate a player with 7 other owners still in the draft and they all ā€œpassā€ itā€™s immediately ends the nomination. Time saver.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that would save a huge amount of time but Iā€™ve never considered this feature and had no idea what you were talking about so that is probably why it was never implemented or discussed.

Anyway its a neat idea and Iā€™ll consider it for 2022.

This is more interesting. How much time does it really save? 5 seconds per nomination?

Yea sorry for not clarifying. I donā€™t have data on it but in end games of lame ESPN drafts is saved about darn near the entire nom cycle. Youā€™re talking 3-4 rounds at end game when guys are waiting to Nom their $1 guys. It is as much about speeding up the boring end rounds as it is saving 15-20 minutes. Here and there it saves during the entire draft as well. Example: Niv and I in a bidding war up to $40 on a player. Finally I tap out and pass. If other owners have passed already itā€™s over just like that. In my experience all owners heavily utilized that function in our leagues. Itā€™s a cool function.

1 Like

It sounds cool, although Iā€™m not sure how it would work in practice as it would require active participation by everyone in the draft to hit pass when theyā€™ve done bidding. Personally, when a player gets nominated that Iā€™m not interested in, thatā€™s when I take a few moments to update my spreadsheets, make any adjustments to my bidding/nomination strategies, etc. Itā€™s pretty rare that Iā€™m just staring at the screen for 0-15 seconds per bid on a player that Iā€™m not interested in. Iā€™d think that Iā€™d rather choose to be able to take short mental breathers throughout the draft rather than end 15-20 minutes earlier. Note: I play RTS with constant pausing so Iā€™m effectively playing a turn-based strategy game (e.g., a Paradox title or whatever), so Iā€™m just a slow poke by nature.

But itā€™s a cool concept that would make for an interesting league options for those leagues who all wanted to do it.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: How do undo an auction draft auction

This really helps out for the ends of drafts when the last few owners are filling out their rosters. It also doesnā€™t require everyone to pass. The ESPN feature is also automatic at ending an auction once the bid cost is higher than the total $ of all other owners; basically, if the cost is higher than you can bid, the system already reads you as a ā€˜passā€™. So, if 75% of your league is marked done with the draft, it only takes two or three other owners to start hitting the ā€˜passā€™ button to really speed up the end of the draft.