Auction Rules and the Cap Penalty

On March 1, I cut Player A who had a $50 salary. No one claimed Player A within 24 hours of the cut, so Player A went to waivers. My team carries a $25 cap penalty.

30 days pass, and no one has auctioned Player A, who is now eligible to be re-auctioned by my team at an opening min bid of $25

If I bid and win the auction, keeping Player A, does the $25 cap penalty that I earned from the March 1 cut go away?

It’s the re-auction rule:

1 Like

I’m aware that my cap penalty goes away is another team wins the bid, but I’m wondering if it goes away when ANY team wins the bid…including mine

From the thread I linked to, and in fact from the text in the preview to the thread I linked to:

Yes, your cap penalty will be removed.

The thread gives a full explanation of why the system works this way and why it isn’t automated.

1 Like

thanks…I read the thread and the logic for the re-auction period…honestly, I didn’t expect to have a chance to bid following the cut so these were uncharted waters…could have been an expensive lesson if I bid aggressively and ended up with Player A and his original cap penalty

1 Like

That would be a really punitive financial system and could put a team underwater for a whole season. Don’t worry, it takes real concerted, dedicated effort to get your team underwater for a whole season :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this was the line in the rules that I was looking to be clarified

If a player passes through waivers, 50% of his salary, rounding up, counts against his previous team’s salary cap as a cap penalty, until he is claimed by another team

Ok, I’ll add a note.

1 Like