Do IBB earn points?

Not sure where else to ask this, but have intentional walks always not counted in stats?

Randomly looking at two players (Joc Pederson & Aaron Judge), they were each walked intentionally (3 and 19 times, respectively) and those points are not included in their season points.

I think you can start new topics instead of latching on to unrelated ones. Could you show your work here?

Linear weights and wOBA remove IBB and Justin Merry’s original posts don’t mention IBB.

To clarify a bit, it’s not that Ottoneu (or linear weights) don’t count IBB it’s that they don’t differentiate IBB. Judge had 111 BB and 19 of those were IBB. He scored 333 points for walks, as he should.

For example, on 9/30 Judge got 4 PA. Ottoneu records 2 AB, 1 1B, and 2BB, for 9.6 points. The FanGraphs game log shows the same but also specifies 1 IBB. That IBB is one of the two BB, not an additional one. If you go to the play by play for that day you’ll see that Judge struck out in the first, singled in the third, drew a walk in the sixth and was intentionally walked in the eighth. So he was credited with two walks and the fact that one was intentional is immaterial

3 Likes

Fair enough. The players’ Fangraphs game stats differentiate the two (BB vs IBB), so when I was running calculations, I kept coming up slightly short. It makes sense that ottoneu counts all walks as walks.

Laziness on my part, I should have checked an actual game.

It never really made sense to me to not value an IBB at all (i.e., what FG’s wOBA does, not Ottoneu). It’s still a positive contribution to a team’s chance of scoring a run, not inert. I don’t even see a good argument for discountng much, if at all. A baserunner is a baserunner, an out not made is an out not made.

IBB are relatively rare these days (Jose Ramirez lead the majors with 20 in 2022). But in 2004, Bonds had a 120. If you count his IBB, he would have earned around 11.1 PPG; without those, he would have earned around 8.5, had Ottoneu been around back then of course.