Football Draft performance

Just had an absolute disaster of an auction draft in 171. Froze up over a dozen times, was locking up after nominations leading to auctions only displaying with 1 or 2 seconds left, locking up completely and missing multiple auctions.

This is year 3 of the league and it was by far the worst performance wise. It is what it is but just wanted to bring it to your attention in case there is something at play.

Sorry for the bad experience and thanks for the heads up. Iā€™ll look into it.

1 Like

Just for a bit more info here, I havenā€™t made any major changes to the draft platform since 2021, so I am both surprised and disappointed that you had just a bad experience. Again, Iā€™m really sorry, and Iā€™m going to do everything I can to improve this experience.

A couple of small questions:

Was this affecting everyone or just some people or just you?

Was it bad the entire draft or did it get better and then worse?

Trying to hammer it down but it seems like some of the issues were affecting everyone and some were only affecting some.

An issue that was seemingly affecting everyone was the entire draft room freezing after every successful auction completion. So auction would complete and the next person would go on the clock to nominate except the entire room would be frozen. It would lag for a variable amount of time and then randomly ā€œunlockā€. Countless people missed their nominations because it would be frozen and automatically skip to the next person.

Similarly, same thing was happening with the auctions. If someone wasnā€™t frozen and would nominate immediately or soon after they were on the clock, the active auction (which is only 15 seconds) would not appear until there was only 1 or 2 seconds left. It would be ā€œfrozenā€ on the previous auction (or in some cases the 2 auctions prior if they were going quick enough) and then would eventually snap back. I cannot speak for everyone but I personally missed probably 20 auctions that I only discovered had occurred after I had to manually refresh the frozen page.

I also had a few instances of attempting to bid but the page was seemingly lagging.

Iā€™m on a Windows desktop using Chrome. I donā€™t remotely begin to know the technical side it but from a laymanā€™s perspective it seemed to be just lagging significantly on the front end while the clock continued to tick unhindered on the back end leading to a disconnect.

In regards to the duration I was having issues the entire draft but it definitely ebbed and flowed. The beginning was terrible, I had about a 5 minute period where I desperately was able to acquire a few players while I was able to bid, and then the entire back half of the draft I was able to bid maybe a handful of times. We had to have the draft paused by the end of it because my nomination list wouldnā€™t populate and had to refresh that about a dozen times. Missed my own nomination I think every turn but 2 of the draft except the the last two picks of the draft where we manually paused.

I didnā€™t appear to have any connection issues and the problem appeared to be isolated to the draft room, ie other functions of Ottoneu were working fine. Iā€™m familiar with some of the Ottoneu quirks (the long wait time on pulling lists from ā€œallā€ with the data provider, etc.) so I donā€™t think these issues were related to that. I canā€™t recall having any similar issues in either year prior.

Appreciate you reaching out.

1 Like

The details here are helpful, thank you. If anyone runs into these kinds of issues in the future, please do not hesitate to pause your draft and email help@ottoneu.com.

1 Like

It looks like our server had a memory issue during the draft earlier this afternoon. Iā€™m looking into what caused that issue and how to prevent it in the future.

I should add that another draft happened this evening with no indication of any issues.

1 Like

Appreciate you looking into it, do not appreciate my league opting to just plow through it despite people not being able to bid/nominate but thatā€™s a league issue.

1 Like

Got some reports of spotty draft room behavior tonight. Sounds like a big problem with the previous auction being ā€˜finalizedā€™ in time. This sounds like a database issue on our end and I am looking into it.

Hey Niv, league 148 is having a lot of freezing issues in draft tonight. I have had to throw back two players into the pool and potentially a third rn.

Yeah, Iā€™m aware. Iā€™m investigating.

EDIT Still fighting this

1 Like

If it helps at all, it appears to happen most often right after a won auction

1 Like

Yep, that helps and aligns with what Iā€™ve heard so far.

It appears that players that had to be thrown back into the draft pool are still counting against caps local to the draft (aka not on the actual team page). A couple reset but one hasnt

Which team? Iā€™ll do a manual clear

1 Like

ā€œJake Jortlesā€

I see his free cap as $32 - is that correct?

1 Like

Yup, picked up another person and that cap is correct. thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! for looking into this Niv. We just paused our draft in league 262 becuase of poor performance issues. The draft froze probably around 15-20 times in the 24 selections that we made. We eventually just called it quits and will try to reschedule or look into doing a slow draft offsite.

1 Like

Iā€™m really, really sorry to hear that. Iā€™m going to continue investigating why draft performance has been so poor the last few days and hopefully will have an answer soon.

FWIW ours (148) has been more solid the last 30-45

1 Like