Gauging interest for forming a new league this year (draft later in April)

New League (fangraphs format)

Lower stakes ($50 or $20)

Draft dates of mid-April (April 16-17 or after)

Prefer fellow newbie managers.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be interested. This would be my first time playing Ottoneu, so Iā€™d prefer a $20 league.

Background: Iā€™ve played in a ā€˜keep manyā€™ auction league with annual salary inflation on a big box site for several years. It lacks in-season player auctions and salary arbitration, so (free) waiver claims and late auction picks play an outsized role in winning. Prices are skewed as a result ($10 Soto, $9 Bieber, $5 Tatis) and there are 3 teams in the league that can contend this year. This was well understood at the end of the preseason auction 10 days ago. Iā€™ve got one of the 3 teams, but after several years, ā€˜winning by waiver claimā€™ isnā€™t interesting the way it was when I started with an abandoned team.

1 Like

Would be interested at whatever price. First year in Ottoneu, but currently in my first league, would like to try another.

2 Likes

Thats great. We are up to 4 already including one manager who emailed me.

Iā€™ll set up the league when we get up to 8 interested/committed with the aim of being a 12 person league.

1 Like

League is up and open. #1323 ā€œDid It All For The Rookiesā€ on the Join A League board

2 Likes

Interested

Iā€™ve joined league 1323, thanks.

Arbitration is currently set up to be by vote off rather than by allocation.

Is that meant to make it easier for new players?

1 Like

Highly recommend Arb fwiw

1 Like

I donā€™t think thatā€™s itā€™s any easier for new players. Actually it might be a little harder to wrap your head around.

Iā€™ve only done one vote off league, but it was a couple of years ago with mostly people new to Ottoneu. The first year vote off was ineffective because people didnā€™t really understand the purpose. The objective is to make each teamā€™s highest surplus player a restricted free agent. At least in this league, people just voted for each teamā€™s best player. Which created several situations where the restricted free agent was retained for a lower salary than if we were not a restricted free agent.

The consequences of ā€œbadā€ arbitration allocations is just that the player whose salary is increased gets cut. That doesnā€™t really affect competitive balance. But a ā€œbadā€ vote off can mean that a $50 player winds up being retained by his original team for $45 or whatever. Works out great for that guy, but not for the rest of the league in terms of having surplus diminished on select players.

So yeah, I agree with Niv: arbitration allocations are 100% the way to go. I donā€™t know that Iā€™d ever play in a vote off league again.

1 Like

Fixed. Now allocation system.

2 Likes

Still looking for 8 managers.

#1323 Did It All For The Rookies.

Have 4 remaining spots. Fangraphs Points. $20. First draft night targeted for April 23.

League #1323 Did It All For The Rookies

Is your preference still for those new to Ottoneu? Iā€™ve been playing Ottoneu since 2018, but only one FGPts league so far (the rest have been 5x5).

Love to get into a fantasy league. Just learning but love it!!

Weā€™ve got one remaining spot as of now. Dibs goes to whoever clicks through first.

Donā€™t have to be entirely new to Ottoneu, but nearly all of us our first years and first time with a fangraphs point league that have signed up thus far.

Looks like you may have found your last manager b/c I dont see your league on the Join a League page. But if you are looking for a manager Iā€™d like to join your league.

I may be late to this party, but after just reading about Ottoneu in my phone feed, I knew I had to join. My fantasy experience is limited and would definitely fit into a rookie classification. So if a spot opens here, I am all in. $20 or $50 is fine by me. Thanks and good luck to this entire group. DL

1 Like

I think Iā€™m ready for Ottoneu

1 Like

20 year fantasy vet. Read about Ottoneu online tonight. Very interested in joining a league. Willing to do any type. thanks!

2 Likes

Keep checking the message board. Existing teams open up who need a replacement manager over the course of the season. Or maybe youā€™ll see a bunch of guys posting who can get together to form a new league. Also check the Managers Seeking Leagues page here for potential guys to band together with.

1 Like