H2H Points Roster Construction

Hey I plan to join a First Year H2H Points league this season and was curious what other owners thought was the best way to assemble a roster. For instance if there’s a max of 2 SP slots a day, how many SPs total do you carry on your roster? I also see you can start 5 RPs, how many additional RPs would you carry on your team? I’ve read somewhere that even if you aren’t a prospects guy, its good to carry a few prospects on your team for trade purposes. Does two prospects sound ok? Any other advice you guys have feel free to share. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

First, this post is a few years and I believe preceeded H2H Baseball, but it’s a review of post-auction roster construction. You might find it helpful.

When I played H2H Ottoneu baseball (haven’t in a couple of years), the setting was 2 SP/day. Relative to a non-H2H league, I carried almost no prospects in order to roster as many SP as possible. I think that is the major difference. You need to start 2 SP per day several times a week. However, you also need to fill out a position player lineup every day too. But you only need ~22 players for that: 1xC, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 2xMI, CI, 8xOF, 4 UTIL (you’ll need some depth to cover injuries).

Off the top of my head, comparative roster construction might look something this:

• Non-H2H: 22-24 position players, 8-10 SP, 6-8 RP, 2-4 prospects.
  • H2H: ~22 position players, 10-12 SP, 6-8 RP, 0 prospects

In non-H2H, because you have a season-long IP limit, you really want to maximize P/IP. With H2H, you want to maximize total points. So RP are important, but most of the time you’ll get more bang-for-your buck from the volume provided by SP.

I get the appeal of carrying some prospects as trade chits, but there is too high an opportunity cost regarding roster spots if you’re trying to compete. With some luck and good drafting, you can have high surplus MLB players that you can deal with instead.

My experience is that it’s even harder to maintain success year-to-year in a H2H league, partially because of the lack of prospects carried by competitive teams. But I’d rather oscillate between near first and near last than consistently be in the middle. YMMV.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful response Walt. Lots to consider.