How should I explain this league to people I want to play with?

Hello,

I ran across a youtube video talking about Ottoneu and from what I saw it looks great. I had a league I ran in 2018 and 2019 that had some similarities to Ottoneu, yet I had to do it all thru CBS and an excel spreadsheet. Could someone help me with how I should explain this league to my friends? I don’t want them to feel to overwhelmed, but also I want them to know to cool and unique features Ottoneu offers.

Thanks,

3 Likes

Welcome to Ottoneu!

I’m happy to give the quick pitch but I’d also take a look at our Happy Graduation thread. Players get a badge if they describe how they enjoyed their first year playing Ottoneu.

Now the quick pitch:

Ottoneu is a year-round fantasy baseball game that is more like MLB team-building than any other fantasy baseball game out there, with a good community of players to talk strategy with and learn from.

It combines deep rosters and a deep player universe with market-based salaries in a way that is unique to fantasy sports and more aligned with real-life MLB team-building. The fundamental components of the economy (all players must be bid in order to be signed to a team, arbitration and inflation at the end of every season) creates a dynamic unlike other fantasy baseball games. Teams have to make tough decisions about competing and rebuilding every season. Trades are more meaningful because they are evaluated over many years, not just days or weeks. And of course it is a year-round game with things to do with your team basically every month out of the year (you can figure a way to take February off, if you want).

Hope that is a good starting point.

1 Like

This is rather mundane and I certainly wouldn’t lead with this in a 15 second elevator speech to entice someone to try Ottoneu, but one of the things that attracted me to Ottoneu is that it has several mechanisms for discouraging/preventing SP streaming, which I find silly, dumb, and unimersive (although absolutely necessary if you want to win in many formats). Ottoneu does this via at least four ways:

1. The 1500 IP cap
  2. A 40 man roster (i.e., most worthwhile SP are rostered)
  3. You can’t start/bid in a FA auction for 30 days after you cut a player
  4. You have a 50% salary penalty for every player you cut (these can add up!)

These things make things more immersive in other ways, but preventing SP streaming is one of the primary benefits, IMHO.

3 Likes

Thanks @nivshah
Appreciate you taking time to help out

1 Like

This is actually great info! and for sure will be using this as a selling point, thanks.

1 Like