Today Ottoneu is announcing its third game, the Ottoneu Prestige League. OPL is a contest in which the best teams across all Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball leagues will finally get to compete against each other. OPL is a season-long best-ball tournament of 120 of the best teams in Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball.
Ottoneu Prestige League is a game that is played on top of Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball. If you enter, your team is shared between both games. All roster management and transactions that happen in your Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball leagues will eventually be reflected in OPL. Your OPL team will require no direct management, but will be indirectly managed by your decisions in your Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball league.
Qualify, compete and win unique prizes. Interested? Read on.
Ottoneu Prestige League will be the first Ottoneu contest that teams will need to qualify for in order to compete. In order to qualify, a team must:
- Play in an active 12-team Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball league in which every team is paid for and managed. The scoring format and other settings of this league do not matter, but it must be an active 12-team league
- Play in a league that has completed a full season of Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball; teams in first-year leagues are not eligible to participate in OPL
- Finish top-6 in the season prior to the OPL season
If a team qualifies for OPL, one of their managers will need to pay the entry fee to reserve one of the 120 OPL spots for the upcoming season. The entry fee will be $50 and is separate from any Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball fees. With the limited number of spots in the contest, be sure to enter as soon as possible.
For this season only, we are lifting the top-6 qualification requirement and making the OPL contest available to any team in an active 12-team second-year-or-older league that pays the entry fee.
If fewer than 75 teams enter in this season’s OPL, it will be canceled and all entry fees will be refunded.
OPL will be the first Ottoneu game to utilize best-ball FanGraphs points scoring. This means the platform will determine a team’s best possible lineup on a given day given its roster and will give FanGraphs points accordingly. These points will be aggregated and displayed on the OPL-wide leaderboard.
|FanGraphs Points||H2H Points, 2 SP slots per day|
However, a team’s OPL roster will not exactly mirror its Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball roster. There are key dates through the OPL season in which rosters are updated and teams are eliminated from the contest.
- Opening Day (1st round)
- OPL rosters updated to match Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball rosters as of Opening Day at 4am ET
- May 1 (2nd round)
- Bottom 30 teams eliminated
- Remaining 90 teams scores reduced by 75%
- OPL rosters updated to match Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball rosters as of May 1 at 4am ET
- June 1 (3rd round)
- Bottom 30 teams eliminated
- Remaining 60 teams scores reduced by 75%
- OPL rosters updated to match Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball rosters as of June 1 at 4am ET
- MLB All-star break (4th round)
- Bottom 28 teams eliminated
- OPL rosters updated to match Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball rosters as of start of ASB, 4am ET
- OPL rosters are frozen
Starting with the 4th round, team rosters no longer update. At this point, OPL switches to tournament mode from an overall leaderboard contest. In 2021, the OPL knockout tournament will start on July 14 and have the following key dates:
- July 14 - August 1 (round of 32)
- August 2 - August 15 (round of 16)
- August 16 - August 29 (quarterfinals)
- August 30 - September 12 (semifinals)
- September 13 - September 26 (finals)
The H2H tournament is a 2-week best-ball matchup and has no carryover in points from round to round. Winners move on and losers are eliminated. Matchups are generated randomly at 4am at the start of each round. The OPL champion is crowned at the end of the final H2H game.
Ottoneu Prestige League will give cash prizes for the top 16 teams in the contest.
|Third and Fourth||$300|
|Fifth through Eighth||$200|
|Ninth through 16th||$100|
Additionally, the 32 teams that qualify for the H2H tournament will receive a unique Ottoneu Prestige League t-shirt, and the OPL champion will receive a custom wooden bat engraved with that season’s OPL logo, as well as automatic entry into next season’s OPL.
At each roster update date, the OPL system will take a snapshot of a team’s Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball roster at 4am ET and update the OPL roster accordingly. If an Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball roster is an illegal state at that moment, the OPL system will discard the team’s latest transactions until they are in a legal state, so make sure your team is in a legal state at 4am ET of each key date. Any pending trades or outstanding auctions that are not completed in time for this snapshot will not be reflected in the updated OPL roster.
What Do I Have To Do?
Interested and want to play? For this season, all you have to do is enter your teams that are in 12-team leagues. Starting in 2022, there will be a top-6 qualification requirement, but that has been waived for this season. Once the OPL and Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball seasons start, you’ll have to be clever with roster moves to keep your team competitive in both contests through the 2021 season.
Thanks so much to the folks who helped me vet and review both this contest and this forum post. And of course, thanks to all of you for continuing to support Ottoneu Fantasy Sports 10 years in. This thread is open to any questions or comments you may have.