Introducing the Ottoneu Prestige League

Maybe I overlooked this, but I notice it says 2 SP/day, is there any restriction on Relief Pitchers?

The H2H lineups without a GS cap have 2 SP per day and 5 RP per day.

Gotchaā€¦makes sense, thanks, and looking forward to this!!!

1 Like

I agree it is just one measurement that isnā€™t strongly correlated. Just couldnā€™t think of a clear if you do X youā€™re out so there isnā€™t any drama mid season.

1 Like

Iā€™m not super worried about any cheaters not being caught, but again that is because I have ideas on what to look for and how to identify cheating.

1 Like

O absolutely they will be caught. Just didnā€™t know legally and/or to reduce drama if there was any concrete line to draw to help you.

My first hesitancy when seeing the OPL was how easy it would be to collude. Seeing this no nonsense approach has me figuring out which team to enter now.

1 Like

Itā€™sā€¦ moderately hard to collude in Ottoneu, and it is very hard to collude without being caught.

This doesnā€™t mean OPL wonā€™t iterate and evolve as we learn more from this season, it just means I am confident in catching cheaters.

3 Likes

As of right now, a little over 3 days after launching, weā€™re at 195 spots taken of 240. Once these last 45 spots are gone, the 2021 OPL will be closed to new entries.

Amazed and thrilled about the response, and very excited to get the inaugural OPL season underway.

2 Likes

The 2021 OPL has sold out. Thank you to everyone for the great response. Very excited to get this season and competition going.

OPL starts on April 1. If you have any questions that havenā€™t been addressed, please let me know.

3 Likes

Man I am beyond sad that I just saw this thread now, and am missing out on this!

I had an owner in my league ask what I thought the likelihood of OPLā€™s field being expanded again. Is there any consideration being given to that, or is 240 the final field?

Do you want more teams in the OPL?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I think this contest is closed for 2021, but if this poll gets a solid number of ā€œYesā€ responses I will reconsider the size for 2022 and if it gets a HUGE number of ā€œYesā€ responses I will reconsider expanding the 2021 OPL and adjusting prizes accordingly.

1 Like

Another alternative for future years would be to limit the number of teams that an individual fantasy manager can enter for a period of time so that as many unique participants can enroll as possible. For example, allow one entry per person for February and then allow additional entries from March onward.

4 Likes

I know thereā€™s a legal aspect to this, and Iā€™m completely unaware of what law permits, but if expanding then it would be cool to expand the number of teams who win prizes rather than increasing the prize amounts for the same number of teams.

2 Likes

I agree, after taking a quick look at the owners, seeing some enter 4-5 times is a little ridiculous. The above idea is something to consider, or just a straight cap of 2 or 3 teams max for one user.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didnā€™t grok how quickly it would fill up and now Iā€™m on the outside ā€“ thatā€™s on me, but a 2 team cap seems super reasonable so more get a shot.

I think the dynamics of how it filled up in year one, being a surprise announcement and all that, are going to be a little unique. However I definitely would like to get as many unique owners into OPL as possible and I will think about how best to do that ahead of 2022 OPL.

2021 OPL is going to remain closed at 240 spots. I appreciate the additional interest and will consider how best to meet it for 2022 OPL.

There is a private OPL channel in Slack, just mention in the main baseball channel youā€™re interested and youā€™ll be added. The admins are working on making it a public channel.

I missed the boat, just like quite a few other owners. Anyway, now that Iā€™ve drafted a couple of teams for this season, Iā€™d love to enter one and was hoping youā€™d add another OPLā€¦have there been thoughts about running two? Iā€™m pretty sure as more teams get drafted that it would fill up rather quickly. If not, Iā€™m already looking forward to next season. Thanks for Ottoneu!

There was some chatter about a second league earlier in this thread, and there are no plans to add a second OPL. OPL will be a single contest every year, and qualifying will be a big barrier in future seasons. For those who missed out, make sure to qualify (top 6 finish) for 2022 OPL!

I think this is going to be awesome!

Teams in leagues that have altered the standard rules to limit weekly GS could be at an advantage, but only time will tell. A GS limit caps the player pool, driving up the value of elite SP (and RPā€™s). In those leagues, budgets, draft boards and roster strategies are probably more reflective of the static nature of the best-ball line-ups. Not something that I will be losing sleep over, but Iā€™m curious to see the results.

Could there be a way to indicate (an * perhaps) which teams in the competition are in leagues with altered rules?

1 Like