Official Thread for Position Eligibility Questions

Merrill Kelly is currently listed as UTIL rather than SP. would it be possible change his designation?

Merrill Kelly should show up as a SP tomorrow.

Kyle Zimmer is currently listed as utility but is a SP
https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa621583&position=P

He didn’t pitch in 2018 so he has to re-earn eligibility. This is true for most guys who are showing up as Util instead of SP. I’d prefer to only add SP eligibility to players who are coming from Korea or Japan - everyone else should have to earn it.

In cases like Zimmer, or anyone with Util designation, can they be drafted/picked up as a Util and then their eligibility will update? Or do you create a new player once he gets certain eligibility back?

Player stays the same- eligibility is edited.

2 Likes

Positional eligibility updates between 4 and 4:30am ET every day.

I’m going to reverse course here. Pitchers who sat out a year due to injury should be manually made pitchers again, rather than re-earning eligibility. I’m not going to manually add SP for guys in rookie ball who just signed, but for guys coming off injury who expect to play in the majors immediately, a manual override does make sense.

Zimmer should have pitching eligibility tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Tulo is listed as a Util. Will he have SS eligibility by Thursday??

He was hurt all of 2018, so without manual intervention he’d have to earn that SS eligibility. I think Tulo is a good case for manual intervention - he played SS 64 games last time he was on the field, it’s not like he moved positions. He’ll have SS tomorrow morning.

1 Like

I think I have to disagree with making pitchers earn eligibility. With a rookie hitter, even if they don’t have eligibility in their primary position, at least you can slot them in at UTIL.

For a pitcher, you literally can’t play them during their debut. While UTIL is ‘default’, it only makes sense for a hitter in the first place.

David:

1 Like

Sorry misread - thanks!

1 Like

Can Victor Victor Mesa please be linked to OF rather than UTIL?

Victor Victor Mesa does not have a FanGraphs profile yet - once he does he’ll start earning eligibility.

Kang 3B :slight_smile:

Kang played in 2018 and didn’t earn any eligibility for 2019, so he will have to earn it this season.

Regarding Kyle Zimmer, I’m not sure why he was given SP eligibility. He made 20 appearances last year in AAA Omaha, and was a reliever in 18 of them before getting hurt. He pitched out of the bullpen all spring training as well and is in the Royals bullpen currently. I get that he has never made a major league appearance, but I’d like to think he should get solely RP eligibility. It was clear the Royals were transitioning him to RP in 2018 before his injury. @nivshah

I chose SP instead of RP arbitrarily - it does not matter in Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball if a player as SP or RP, but they need one of those to be used in any pitching slot.

Hey Niv, should Pedroia also get position eligibility based on the way you applied this to Tulo? He missed too much time last year to reach the games minimum (only three games).