Official Thread for Position Eligibility Questions

It doesn’t really matter. So long as he as any type of pitcher eligibility in 2023, you’ll be able to slot him into a SP spot and get points from his GS.

1 Like

I see Fernando Tatis Jr. went to UTIL-only after not playing this season because of injury and suspension. Is that the typical process for a player who doesn’t play all year? They lose all position eligibility?

1 Like

Yes, pretty much. If you ask him, Niv will usually give pitchers coming back from TJS or whatever their pitcher eligibility. But position players usually have to earn their position eligibility back after missing a year.

Chad Young runs down all of the position changes in a latest for Rotographs.

2 Likes

Tatis will definitely need to earn eligibility.

call me crazy, I thought a pitcher could only accrue points if he’s in the correct pitcher slot?

Yes. You have to use the pitcher the way the MLB team uses them. This is clearly written on the lineup page:

All pitchers can be placed in either SP or RP, regardless of eligibility. To get credit for a pitcher’s performance, you must play him in the same role as his major league team uses him. Pitchers who start in real life must be put into SP roles, and pitchers who come out of the pen must be put into RP roles.

Also see this thread:

Is Daniel Espino Clev U only because he got hurt and didn’t pitch enough innings in 2022?

For every single player you can visit their player card and look at the graph that shows how many games they played at any position and how many games they started for any position. I am repeating myself from this post:

It’s pretty straightforward to see that Espino pitched and started 4 games in 2022 from looking at the 2023 position eligiblity progress graph.

From the rules page:

Players will be given SP eligibility if they are the starting pitcher in 5 regular season games in the current or preceding year
Players will be given RP eligibility if they pitch in relief in 5 regular season games in the current or preceding year

Espino was U only even before the new 2022 position eligibilities were updated, why I inquired.

Hey just following up on this: it looks like the Daniel Espino who is left in the system is marked as a position player, but he is a pitcher.

Looks like he just didn’t pitch enough last year to get SP.

Word! Thanks.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Why do hitters need to earn eligibility after being injured?

Doing some cursory research and noticed that Shintaro Fujinami does not have his OAK affiliation listed, and is listed at Util but he is a pitcher. Considering I just learned of his existence and he just signed in Jan, I’m assuming it might just be waiting on a system update. But wanted to point it out.

I’ll link him up to his FG ID today and he should show being on OAK tomorrow.

UPDATE Well he’ll show up on OAK right away but he will get SP tomorrow.

1 Like

Wondering if there is a comprehensive list of positions for which players are eligible. I know I can filter by position, but what I really need is a list of all hitters that notes which positions they qualify for. Checked Ottoneu PLAYERS page and FanGraphs, but I can’t seem to find anything.

Search the forums for “player universe”

Not sure if this is right place but Daniel Espino - CLE AA is listed as utility when in fact he is an SP. Currently the 16th rated mlb prospect. Can this be updated?

1 Like

I see. What happens if he pitches this year and gets called up? Adjustment would be made then?