Changes to OPL?

Niv,

Have you considered any changes to the OPL setup? It’s been going a few years now and I am wondering how you think it’s gone relative to your expectations?

There are big changes this year:

1. The first round goes to May 15th instead of the end of April, as it has the previous 3 years.
  2. There’s a bonus snapshot on April 25th that aligns your rosters mid-first round. This is the first time ever OPL has had that.
  3. T-shirts are available to everyone who enters, not just free for the top 32, as in the past.

These are massive changes to the structure and incentives of OPL. I am not really sure if I accept the premise of “considering changes” with all these changes on the table for 2024.

I guess I did know about those changes. Any specific reasons you thought the longer first round and added snapshot were needed?

Until last year, I hadn’t fully understood how IL players complicate the snapshots. And how date of acquisition played into it. It got me wondering if down the line either different roster construction options will be considered or if teams that don’t finish in the top 6 of their league could become eligible.

I know OPL it’s about trade-offs, but most good teams likely have players on good deals that have probably been held a long time. Owners are probably hard pressed to cut bait in order to replace them on their OPL rosters. I know that’s what happened to me last year. I think OPL could serve as an interesting game for teams still trying to rebuild their rosters since position eligibility and games played is so much of the strategy.

From my introduction to 2024 OPL post:

This should make OPL more welcoming to players who haven’t tried it out before. You are in OPL for at least 7 weeks with an opportunity to adjust your roster midway through the first round. On top of that, you’re guaranteed a uniquely designed t-shirt.

These changes were only made in 2022, so it makes sense that 2023, the first year after these changes, was the first one where it was a little clearer on how to plan for them. Relatedly, I am not ready to talk about 2025 OPL changes for the same reason :slight_smile:

I hear you on this, maybe a second half qualification or something for rebuilding teams. At the same time, it is meant to be a competition of the best teams in Ottoneu, and having to make trade-offs to both make OPL and also win in OPL are a huge part of the dynamics at play here.

4 Likes

I will say personally this is the first year I’m going to skip OPL. One, I am only in 5x5 leagues, two I was turned off by the teams with massive salary advantages going into last years contest. Niv I know there are reasons for both, but I just wanted to give some feedback in case you are considering further changes down the line. Regardless I still consider the core ottoneu product the best fantasy platform around and appreciate all you do.

For context, here is the leaderboard for the first round last year

As you see, the first place team had $401 in salary, and many teams had less than $400 in salary that made it past the first round. The top 170 teams advance, for context.

Beyond that, everyone has the ability to make win-now trades to compete in OPL and at home at the expense of future value. This is a core trade-off that is at the heart of OPL. If you’re up for the challenge and willing to make hard decisions, OPL merits your attention.

Niv,

I am curious what you mean by it being “a little clearer on how to plan for them” regarding players on the IL?

In 2022, there was a new rule implemented about 60IL players and keeping rosters at the 40-man limit regardless of 60IL status. The implications of rule changes generally take a while to sink in. Thus, in 2023, after time passed, people were more easily able to comprehend the trade-offs involved and how to plan for the 60IL status no longer allowing for extra players on your roster. Some people still are tangling with those rules.