COVID-19 Changes for the 2020 MLB Season

This is a living document of COVID-19/short-season related changes to Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball. Whatever is in this document is the latest, and I will update it as we get more information about this season and its various unique mechanics.

Salary Inflation and Arbitration

• There will be normal salary inflation ($2 for players who play in a MLB game, $1 for everyone else) applied at the end of the season. Commissioner tools will allow leagues that want to pass on this inflation to modify salaries if they want.
  • There will be a one-month arbitration period from October 15 to November 15. Leagues that completely do not participate in arbitration will not have any arbitration applied.

Position Eligibility

• In 2020, players can gain position eligibility, but no player will lose position eligibility for 2021. Going into 2021, position eligibility will be based on 2019 and 2020 games played. Assuming a full 2021 MLB season, going into 2022 position eligibility will be based on 2021 games played.
  • The requirements to gain position eligibility will remain at 10 games played or 5 games started in the majors.

MLB Players Opting Out

• We have a OPTOUT distinction for players who have opted out of the 2020 MLB season. If a player has opted out of the 2020 season, teams that roster them will get an extra roster spot. These players will still count against a team’s cap and will have inflation applied and be arbitration-eligible following the 2020 season.

COVID-19 IL

• We have a COVID-19 IL distinction for players who have been placed by their MLB teams on the COVID-19 IL. We are beholden to our data providers to provide this information and will not manually make any changes to player IL status. If a player has COVID-19 IL status, teams that roster them will get an extra roster spot.

Trade Deadline

• The trade deadline remains on August 31, 2020.

H2H Multiple Matchups per-week

• You can now select if you’d like 1, 2, or 4 matchups per week in a H2H league. This can be changed in any off-season going forward.
  • Teams that have multiple matchups in a week will only set a single lineup which will be used across all matchups.
  • Your SP GS cap is now per week, rather than per matchup.
  • Schedules have not been generated for 2020 yet. Watch this space as I will update when they have been generated.

Game and Inning caps

• Non-playoff leagues:

• Games played: 60
    • OF Games played: 300
    • IP: 560 IP
    • Min IP: 460 IP
  • Playoff leagues

• Games played: 30
    • OF Games played: 150
    • IP: 280 IP
    • Min IP: 230 IP

Drafting

The auction draft window is now extended to August 7. Please let me know if you’d like to draft later than August 7, 2020.

I will keep a change log below in case any of the above information changes. Please DM me or email help@ottoneu.com if you have any questions. Thanks as always for supporting Ottoneu Fantasy Sports.

UPDATE 07/08/20 11:40p We now have an OPTOUT status for players who have opted-out.
UPDATE 07/15/20 12:24p Clarification on requirements to gain position eligibility

9 Likes

As edits are made you can click the orange pencil icon next to the post’s timestamp to see what was changed in the post.