Daily Point Totals

Is their an easy way to see the total points amassed on a per-day basis? I want to know how many points I got yesterday as well as the other GM’s in my league without having to add them all up from the “Today’s Stats” page. Is there a quick way to get this info or am I just going to have to dust off the old calculator and do it myself?

Full disclosure, I am new to Ottoneu so I may just be missing this if it is out there.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Individual Player Performance on H2H Game Pages

Is their an easy way to see the total points amassed on a per-day basis? I want to know how many points I got yesterday as well as the other GM’s in my league without having to add them all up from the “Today’s Stats” page. Is there a quick way to get this info or am I just going to have to dust off the old calculator and do it myself?

Full disclosure, I am new to Ottoneu so I may just be missing this if it is out there.

I’m considering this a vote for more information on the game page.

Just to be clear, I’m not in a H2H league, I’m in plain ol’ roto. I just want to be able to see the point totals from yesterday (and maybe a few days before that too) for everyone in my league as well as season totals.

Oops. My brain made an assumption!

Alright, I moved this back. There is a way to do this using the Standings page:

The Standings page has graphs, so that’s probably the most straightforward way to accomplish this.

The other thing to do is use the hidden “date” parameter for the Standings page, which takes dates in the format YYYY-MM-DD. For example, here is the Experts League’s stats as of April 3.

https://ottoneu.fangraphs.com/139/standings?date=2018-04-03

I think the graph stuff at the bottom is what you really want, though.

The graph looks likes it would be what I need, except that when I choose a stat and make a graph, it is expressed on a per-day basis. So instead of saying I got 230 points Tuesday and 44.5 yesterday, its shown as 230 on Tuesday and 136.8 yesterday. Is this just something that the commissioner has to set up?

1 Like

If you’re in a roto league, what do you mean by “getting” points? Or are you in a season-long points league?

I mean point totals accumulated by my players.

I think we qualify as a season-long points league. Here is a link to our standings page so you can see the graph:
https://ottoneu.fangraphs.com/977/standings

Yeah, this is a season-long points league, and there isn’t a direct “This is how many points you got on this day” view. The graph shows your rate of points per day, which is pretty meaningful, and you can also graph P/G and P/IP rates, which are also pretty meaningful.

Otherwise I think you’ll have to get out the old calculator as of right now, or do some manual work using the date parameter I mentioned in an earlier response.

Damn!

Alright, will do. Thanks for your quick responses!

Also, good job on this whole project. I’m having a great time!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’ll leave this wishlist item open, make sure to like the first post if you are interested in the wishlist request.

I’m interested in the graphs on the Standing page, but, unless I’m missing something, they have limited value as they display now. I assumed that the graph named say: “Points per day” would track the points per day for each team over a specific period of time, not (as it seems to display) AVERAGE points per day for each team over a specific period of time. Looking at average points per day is a graph that will gradually flatten out over the season; becoming less and less interesting and significant as what should be a daily indicator graph becomes a slightly fluctuating display of total points. It really doesn’t provide any information not found on the table of total points above the graph.

Much more interesting (and nearly impossible to glance at) would be what I think @big_tim18 is asking for: a graph showing actual daily scores (points, hits, sb, etc…) for given dates. Much more varied data points that would show a history a team’s good days and bad days in comparison to other teams. I assumed that was actually what these graphs are for.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve wrapped my brain around this and should be able to address it tonight or tomorrow.

1 Like

So here’s the thing about line graphs - they are meant to show trends, so having a “graph” of daily point totals is kind of meaningless. This is what it looks like:

There’s nothing meaningful to gain from this graph. The graph for average P/day is more meaningful, because it shows a trend towards how teams are performing:

Over time, this is telling - it isn’t just showing a snapshot of how teams are performing right now, but a trend in how each team is performing - which teams are heating up, which teams are cooling off, etc. Maybe a team made a trade and their P/day starts climbing or dropping, that kind of thing.

It’s the difference between seeing a trendline of runs per game over time versus how many runs a team scored every day for the last month - the latter is just full of meaningless noise.

So, this is why a snapshot of point totals on a day was never made part of the line graph options. I’m wondering if there’s another interesting way to show points scored on a given day historically. Paging anyone with a passing interest in data visualization…

Something like this from baseball reference’s team page comes to mind

This isn’t a trend-line, but it is fun to look at. The Today’s Stats page could also show total points at the top of the page, which might be the best, easiest solution here.

1 Like

On the Standings page in points leagues, in the “Statistics” table, there is now a CHG column that shows the point change versus yesterday. Please let me know if this is helpful or if you have other ideas on how this can be presented.

Thanks!

1 Like

I understand your reasoning on the daily points graph being kind of meaningless. Long-term it doesn’t show much. However, I think the short-term side of it is interesting. Looking at your example graph, I can see that the whoever’s team is the yellow line had a rough couple of days. I think it’s a good way to quickly see how you are performing on a given night compared to the people in your league. If you are at or near the bottom of this graph a few times, like poor Team Yellow is here, you could decide that maybe it’s time to make some changes. Similarly, since you can easily see who had the most points on a given night, you can then go into their “Today’s Stats” page and see where their points are coming from, rather than having to go through everyone’s “Today’s Stats” page and looking at every player, not that their isn’t something to glean from that too, this just makes it a little easier. Bottom line, I like the graph and I think I would check it regularly if it was available.

That being said, I think the CHG category on the Standings page will be helpful. I definitely don’t need the numbers in a graph considering I am mainly concerned with the night before anyway. It gives me what I want to see so…Awesome! Thanks a lot!

1 Like