Newbie-idea for league

Hello

Ive been looking at joining or starting a new fantasy baseball league. But checking to see if one already exists before I go through the trouble.

I was looking for an ultra deep dynasty league where owners BUY a team and pay a yearly entry fee. The price or value of the team would be correlated to teams previous year performance relative to all the other teams in the league…like team WAR or something.

Team value would go up or down based on how well the manager performs…like an asset.
Does anyone know if one of these type leagues exists?

There is still a yearly payout from a yearly entry fee, but in addition, the team appreciates or depreciates in value.

MiLB players could be valued on a discounted FV projected WAR

With investment tied up into future value, it would be a nice economic way to penalize bad trades and help avoid abandoned teams for dynasty play.

The founder says that ottoneu is basically an economic system. Wondering if anyone came up with this already.

I’d like a h2h play but not married to it.

Are their any leagues like this in your ottoneu universe? Is there any roadblocks to starting one up inside an OTTONEU system.

Right now it seems like there is a limit for the number of teams to 12(?). Can you do a 30 team league with a 40 man roster? Like real MLB play dynasty?

Thanks
Giantheart

I’ve never participated in an ottoneu league with added-on economics or modifiers. I do know that some do the extra MiLB rosters outside of ottoneu, but that requires management outside the platform. Doing such things also make the league exempt from the OPL.

I have never heard of the valuation concept as you’ve described it. It sorta reminds me of the now defunct ProTrade platform that used to exist. It was site were players and teams were traded like stocks and you could increase your portfolio’s value through buying and shorting players.

What is OPL?

Ottoneu Prestige League

2 Likes

This recent thread touches on some reasons to roll with Ottoneu as is. Its really great and I’d recommend trying as is prior to tinkering.

This sort of reminds me of my introduction to fantasy sports in ~1999… Smallworld which was a sort of stock market for fantasy where you could “buy” players who would accumulate points for your fantasy team, and as their performance/popularity increased their value would increase and you could “sell” for a profit. Many study halls spent obsessing over that site. Wish someone would bring it back.

1 Like

Just to be clear. You buy the franchise and its total value would be correlated to previous year Team WAR relative to the league. So there is an appreciating and depreciating asset component and there is a winning season league payout value.

There has definitely been prior discussion of having a 30-team league. I believe the largest league at the moment is 20 teams, which was approved as an experiment of sorts (I think that ties to the thread below).

The concept of tying buy-in to projected value is interesting. You could see a league where participants pay a percentage of the highest projected value. The best way to handle that might just be having an offsite league safe on top of a basic $20 league here. The total pool could just be set to pay out a set portion of whatever funds come in for teams that win–but if handled offsite, also a bonus or something for the Oakland As of the world if they finish in the first division or something.

Lots of options, sounds interesting, even as a 12-team league.

1 Like

I think coming up with entirely new game ideas having never played Ottoneu is a choice.

I also don’t think much of this aligns with the platform, but you can use Google Sheets to your best ability to try and make it work.

Anyway you should try out Ottoneu, it’s pretty great!

7 Likes

I’d second the suggestion to just try out-of-the-box Ottoneu before exploring variations. As someone who has experimented with various variations, I definitely enjoy the “vanilla” experience best.

This sort of reminds me of my introduction to fantasy sports in ~1999… Smallworld which was a sort of stock market for fantasy where you could “buy” players who would accumulate points for your fantasy team, and as their performance/popularity increased their value would increase and you could “sell” for a profit. Many study halls spent obsessing over that site. Wish someone would bring it back.

I remember those. Unfortunately, the company that developed the format (Wall Street Sports) was sold in the late 1990s or early 2000s to a company that went bellyup during the Dot Com bust (Sandbox.com). Tradesports.com purchased the rights and ran the game for a number of years, but they themselves went bellyup in ~2015. As far as I know, no platform currently offers this format. Although MLB the Show’s trading cards approximates it to a limited degree.

1 Like

All these platforms got shut down for legal reasons and the current wave of gambling/fantasy laws do not cover them, as far as I understand.

Agree with everyone on the thread that misses these games!

2 Likes

I understand. I am sure ottoneu is really fun. I am already in another fantasy league.

I was exploring a new concept, not trying to decide which league would be more fun.

I was trying to extend the economic system.

Not sure I understand why it goes against the goals of the league. I would think it is consistent

I wrote it does not align with the platform. Ottoneu is a site that runs a game that has a lot of opinions. If you want to create your own kind of game, Ottoneu is not the right site for you, because it just has too many opinions baked in to how things are run.

My understanding is a place like FanTrax has a lot more customization options.

This isn’t a site for customization, etc. It’s a site to play a very specific format that is quite good and fun, and I recommend you try it out!

2 Likes

Hello Niv,

I think my primary objective was to see if something already existed. I didn’t really want to recreate something. I am already on Fantrax, but was exploring if this site was a good fit if there wasn’t already something available. I appreciate your comments
Thanks

Everything in the post you linked to is so true based on my experience of 30 team leagues. Very interesting.
Very shallow free agency pool
War of attrition
The only viable trade strategy is mortgage the future for win now or punt now for winning in the future.

Thanks for posting

1 Like